KURDISTAN PARLIAMENT: FORMATION OF A DE JURE INSTITUTION IN A DE FACTO STATE
The Kurdistan Parliament – Iraq was established in 1992 and has increasingly gained legitimacy both inside and outside the region. The parliament is a unicameral legislative body in the northern part of Iraq recognized as a federal region officially known as Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI). It has been functioning as a de jure institution in a de facto state, with a reasonably stable legislative capacity. The formalized procedures and legally established functions of this parliament are indicative of a functional institution, albeit with long periods in which the main parliamentary parties do not reach the required consensus to legislate. After five election cycles, five parliamentary terms and having passed hundreds of laws, are the region and its representative institution able to pass the test of being a minimal democracy?
Constitute Project (2021). “Iraq’s Constitution of 2005.” Available at: https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Iraq_2005.pdf?lang=en
IHERC (2017). “Primary Results.” Available at: http://www.khec.krd/pdf/173082892017_english%202.pdf
Kurdistan National Assembly (1992). Elections Law – Iraq, No. 1 for the year 1992 (UNAMI unofficial translation). Available at: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjavZv1x9jmAhUFrosKHUHICyQQFjAAegQIBxAK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgjpi.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fconsolidated-amendment-to-electoral-law-of-the-kip-unami-unoffical-translation-final-annotated.doc&usg=AOvVaw3RGH-pC9a9bgeMELuvlHxn
Kurdistan Parliament (1992). Yasayi Jimare 1, 1992, Yasayi Helbijardinî Kurdistan [Law No. 1, 1992, Kurdistan Elections Law]. Available at: http://perleman.org/files/articles/010315072126.pdf
Kurdistan Parliament (2009). Yasayi Jimare 2, 2009, Hemwari Çiwaremi Yasayi Helbijardinî Encumeni Nishtimani Kurdistan [Law No. 2, 2009, Kurdistan Elections Law Fourth Amendment]. Available at: https://www.parliament.krd/media/2348/یاسای-ژماره-2-ی-ساڵی-2009-یاساى-هه-مواركردنى-چواره-مى-یاساى-هه-ڵبژاردنى-ئه-نجومه-نى-نیشتمانى-كوردستان-ـ-عیراق-ژماره-1-ى-ساڵى-1992ى-هه-مواركراو.pdf
Kurdistan Parliament (2005). Yasayi Jimare 1 î sali 2005, Yasayi Serokayeti Herêmî Kurdistan [Law No. 1, 2005, Kurdistan Presidency Law]. Available at: http://perleman.org/files/articles/101207105105.pdf
Kurdistan Parliament (2014a). Yasayi Jimare 4, 2014, Yasayi Komisiyonî Serbexoyi Helbijardin û Rapirsî [Law No. 4, 2014, Election and Referendum Independent Commission Law]. Available at: http://perleman.org/files/articles/020914010617.pdf
Kurdistan Parliament (2014b). Biryari Jimare 7, 2014, Hemwari Hestemi Peyrewi Nawxoy perleman [Resolution No. 7, 2014, Eighth Amendment of Kurdistan Parliament’s Bylaw]. Available at: https://www.parliament.krd/business/resolutions/بریارەکانی-ساڵی-٢%D9%A0١٤/
Kurdistan Parliament (2018). Peyrewi Nawxoyi Perlemani Kurdistan, [Kurdistan Parliament’s Bylaw]. Available at: https://www.parliament.krd/media/4943/پەیرەوی-ناوخۆی-پەرلەمانی-كوردستان-عێراق.pdf
Open Think Tank. (2018, August 16). The Quota System: Limiting or Securing the Representation of Ethnic and Religious Minorities in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Open Think Tank OPEN DEBATES 5 Report and Recommendations Comments. https://otto.krd/open-debates-5-report-and-recommendations/.
Taha, M. Y. (2020). Media and Politics in Kurdistan: How politics and media are locked in an embrace. Lexington Books.
Shanpress (2017) http://www.shanpress.com/Wtardetails.aspx?jimare=814
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Mohammedali Yaseen Taha, Angela Movileanu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.