Effects of Poetry on Relaxation and Liberalism of Thoughts and Feelings: A Case Study of Poets, Poetry Readers, and Therapists
Keywords:Key words: Poetry, imagination, feelings, therapy, liberalism.
Poetry is the most potent expression of emotions and sentiments. The language of beauty and expression takes both the reader and the writer to another realm of imagination. Reading and writing poetry may be the most effective therapy for dealing with any emotional condition. Poetry may be utilized in various ways by therapists, readers, and writers to obtain advantages that improve their physical, social, and emotional well-being. While there has been a lot of study on poetic therapy in general, there has been very little research on how poets, writers, and therapists utilize poetry. The study hypotheses that poetry has no impact on readers and authors to disclose their feelings. To validate this hypothesis the researcher has adapted qualitative method for analyzing data collected by means of interviews that held with, the readers, authors, and therapists. The study found 25 poetry enthusiasts including poetry readers, writers and enthusiasts in Duhok, Iraq in Nawroz University in College of language-English department. All of the participants were interviewed, both online and in-person, and their interviews have been audio recorded for the research. The answers were analyzed, and three findings were drawn: the impact of poetry on relaxation and liberalization of ideas and emotions, the effect of poetry therapy, and poetry therapy methods. According to this research, poetry is an excellent tool for readers and authors to explore emotions and feelings and offer expression. The usage of poetry therapy has also been shown to have beneficial reward for therapists while conducting it with their patients as tool for treatment. Its worthy to note that the current research does not focus on a particular type of poetry. It rather follows on eclectic approach ie taking different types of poetry written in different languages into account.
Bressler, C. E. (2011). Literary Criticism. Longman.
DRABKIN, I. E. (1951). SORANUS AND HIS SYSTEM OF MEDICINE. Bulletin of the History of Medicine, 25(6), 503–518. http://www.jstor.org/stable/44446382
Czernianin, W. (2016). Poetry as a Therapeutic Medium in Shaping Mood. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 29(3), 135-145.
de Almeida Moreira, M. A, and Ceneide Maria de O. C. (2018) The Role of Poetry in Therapy.
Finnegan, R. (2018). Oral poetry: Its Nature, Significance and Social Context. Wipf and Stock Publishers
Glaz, S. (2019). Enheduanna: Princess, Priestess, Poet, and Mathematician. The Mathematical Intelligencer, 42(2), 31–46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00283-019-09914-7
Hedges, D., & Bolton, G. (2013). Poetry, Therapy and Emotional Life (1st ed.). CRC Press. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203743041
Heller, P. (2010). Kenneth P. Gorelick: Poetry therapy pioneer. Journal of Poetry Therapy. 23. 107-114. 10.1080/08893675.2010.482813.
Brazier, Y. (2018b, November 16). What was ancient Egyptian medicine like? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323633
Mazza, N. (2016). Poetry Therapy: Theory and Practice (2nd ed.). Routledge.
Mazza, N. (2017). The Evolution of Poetic Inquiry, Practice, Education, and Evaluation in Poetry Therapy.
Race, W. H. (2014). Classical Genres and English Poetry (Routledge Revivals). Routledge
Stout, J. P. (2016). Coming Out of War: Poetry, Grieving, and the Culture of the World Wars. University of Alabama Press.
The National Association for Poetry Therapy. (n.d.). History. Retrieved from http://www.poetrytherapy.org/history.html
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.