The role of environmental awareness among the residents of the city of Duhok in the disposal of waste
Keywords:الكلمات الافتتاحية: النفايات، الوعي البيئي، الطمر
Many countries in the world today are witnessing an exacerbation of the problem of weak environmental awareness in the way of dealing with solid waste, how to manage and treat it, and then benefit from it as an economic wealth. The city of Dohuk, as one of the cities in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, was tested to study and evaluate the extent of awareness of people and families in the city of Dohuk with waste. The main objective of the study is to evaluate the level of environmental awareness among the residents of the city of Dohuk in dealing with and disposing of waste. And knowing the most important mechanisms used by the responsible systems in the study area.
The study dealt with two sections. The first section covered the theoretical aspect and presented the most important definitions of solid waste, its types, and how to deal with it. The second section includes the applied aspect. The problem of the study was the lack of environmental awareness, the lack of knowledge of the correct methods for dealing with waste and arranging it in a way that reduces the efforts made by the state to deal with it, and the lack of availability of waste transfer devices if this waste is transported directly to sanitary landfill sites. Therefore, the study assumed a low level of environmental awareness among the residents of Dohuk in dealing with and disposing of waste and how to benefit from it.
The study relied on the descriptive approach and the analytical approach. As for data, the data collection process was carried out by relying on the questionnaire designated for this purpose, with (108) sample members relying on the questionnaire form. The most important statistical indicators that were chosen in testing the hypothesis are frequency and percentage.
The study reached a number of results, the most prominent of which is the noticeable discrepancy in the presence of an integrated service provided by the municipality of the Dohuk region for waste collection, while there are areas that are still not served or suffer from a defect in the waste collection process, and also the lack of interest by the municipality in sorting waste for the purposes of landfilling, and in fact waste is still being collected. Mixedly, without taking into account the importance of sorting them. The study recommends several proposals, the most important of which is the necessity of holding seminars, courses, and programs for people to teach them the most important ways to properly deal with waste and how to dispose of it, in addition to the importance of adopting modern methods for landfilling waste, through which they can learn about the modern methods followed by developed countries in treating waste. Finally, emphasizing the importance of sorting waste by providing citizens with different types of waste containers suitable for sorting waste in a way that facilitates the process of recycling it later.
العبد ربه، خضير. وليد، محمد.حنين، احمد. (2012(. "انتاج النفايات الصلبة المنزلية في مدينة تكريت وتاثير حجم االسرة ومستوى الدخل على معدل االنتاج " . مجلة تكريت للعلوم الهندسية، 12:(1).
الجوذري،علي حمزة. نصر،عامر راجح. (2017(. " مشكلة النفايات الصلبة في مدينة الطليعة وتأثيراتها البيئية" .مجلة فصيلة الحكمة، 6:(2(.
الدغيري، محمد ابراهيم ).2013) . " النفايات الصلبة: تعريفها - أنواعها وطرق علاجها" . http://geoqassim.org/pdfs/urFkFKHSELgtaXDK2wGtZC75kWlbLyDbN73VnUm4.pdf
الكعبي، امال. المالكي، عبدالله سالم .)2011). "مشكلة النفايات الصلبة في مدينة البصرة وتأثيراتها البيئية" . مجلة اداب البصرة ، 11
النجار،دنيا شكر. المعموري،حسام.( 2020). " المعالجات التخطيطية لمشكلة النفايات الصلبة في مدينة الحلة دراسة تنموية" ، العدد الخاص بالمؤتمرات. https://www.midad.edu.iq/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/61-
اوسو، خيري. كلثوم، بن ثامر. (2018(. "المسؤولية الاجتماعية ودورها في تحقيق السمعة المنظمية". مجلة العلوم الانسانية. )4):22.
رسن، كوثرهاشم. حاتم،وضاح عامر. حسن،سميعة مهدي. هادي، عبدالله. (2016(. "دراسة واقع ادارة المخلفات الصلبة لمدينة بعقوبة". مجلة ديالى للعلوم الهندسية،9:(1)
طوكان،رياض خليف. محمد،ندى .(2016(. " دور الوعي البيئي لدى الاسرة العراقية في التخلص من النفايات الصلبة". مجلة المخطط والتنمية . العدد 34
عبدالجواد، احمد عبدالوهاب. (2012(." موسوعة بيئة الوطن العربي" ، اسس تدوير النفايات، دار العربية للنشر والتوزيع
صالح، جمال الدين .( 2003 ) . " الإعلام البيئي بين النظرية والتطبيق " ، مركز الاسكندرية للكتاب ، القاهرة.
محمد ، ماهر إسماعيل .( 2006 ) ." التربية البيئية ( من أجل بيئة أفضل ) مكتبة الرشد ، الرياض .
Muhammed, Sh.(2009). Spatial Planning for the Education Service in the City of Duhok by Using Information Technology, Diploma thesis. University of Duhok, Duhok. Iraq .
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.