The impact of military spending on unemployment rates in a group of developing countries for the period (2005-2020) Using panel data
Sovereignty is one of the components of public life and one of the basic components of the state that aims to meet the demands and requirements of the individuals that make up society. Therefore, the absence of security and stability requires the allocation of large sums of money, or what is called military spending, to secure and provide the elements of stability. This is on the one hand, and on the other hand, military spending is a problem. It is an obstacle to achieving progress in civilian activities, especially in developing countries and countries that are characterized by a low real growth rate, such as the countries under study, and these expenditures leave negative effects on economic and social variables, including unemployment. This research aspires to explain and analyze the impact of military spending on unemployment rates in countries characterized by By increasing its military spending, such as (Iraq, Iran, Turkey, and the Arab Republic of Egypt). The research took unemployment rates as a dependent variable within the model and some independent variables, which are expected to have a role in increasing or decreasing unemployment rates, based on economic theory, such as (military spending as a percentage of GDP, and foreign investment). As a percentage of DGP and GDP growth), the most important finding of this research is that the large increase in military spending crowds out the economic budget, which leads to budget restrictions for other sectors such as education, health, and industrial productivity, especially in developing countries. The research suggests the need for these countries to move towards a growth rate Stable through the real growth of economic sectors and the transfer of its investment resources to other areas that guarantee its economic growth.
6 المصادر باللغة العربیة:
الزغبي، هیثم (2000)، اسس ومبادئ الاقتصاد الكلي، الطبعة الاولی،عمان، دار الفكر.
داود، إیهاب علي، عباس فاضل رسن (2021)، قیاس وتحلیل العلاقة بین الانفاق العسكري والنمو الاقتصادي في العراق للمدة (2004- 2019)، مجلة الغري للعلوم الاقتصادیة والاداریة، جامعة الكوفة.
وزارة التخطیط والتعاون الانمائي، التقریر الوطني لحال التنمیة البشریة، العراق، 2008.
6 المصادر باللغة الانكلیزیة:
Abu-Qarn, Aamer S, J Paul Dunne, Yasmine M. Abdelfattah, Shadwa Zaher (2010), The Demand for Military Spending in Egypt, JEL classification: H56, O53.
Abdulla, .Abdul Kareem (2012), The Relationship between Economic Growth and Unemployment in Iraq, hjIraqi Journal for Economic Sciences, No- 32, year 10.
Anoruo, Emmanuel, Uchenna Akpom, Young D. Nwoye (2018), Military Spending and Unemployment: a panel SmoothJournal of Business & Economic Policy, Transition Regression Approach, Vol. 5, No. 2, doi:10.30845/jbep.v5n2p3.
Alalawneh, Mustafa; Azizun Nessa (2020), The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Unemployment: Panel Data Approach, Emerging Science Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4, August, 2020.
Bertoni , Eleonora, Giorgio Ricchiuti (2014), A Multilevel Analysis of the Unemployment in Egypt, DISEI - Università degli Studi di Firenze, Working Paper N. 23/2014.
Brincikova, Zuzana; Lubomir Darmo, (2014) , THE IMPACT OF FDI INFLOW ON EMPLOYMENT IN V4 COUNTRIES, European Scientific Journal February 2014 /SPECIAL/ edition vol.1 ISSN: 1857 – 7881 (Print) e - ISSN 1857- 7431.
Bayar, Yilmaz; Sasmaz, Mahmut Unsal (2017), Impact of Foreign Direct Investments on Unemployment in Emerging Market Economies: A Co-integration Analysis, International Journal of Business and Economic, Sciences Applied Research, VOLUME 10, ISSUE 3.
CANBAY, Şerif & Derya MERCAN (2020), Unemployment Effects of Military Spending in Turkey, Canbay, Ş., Mercan, D. / Journal of Yasar University, 2020, 15/60, 941-952.
Farzanegan ,Mohammad Reza (2012), Military spending and economic growth: The case of Iran, Working Paper, Philipps-University of Marburg, Center for Near and Middle Eastern Studies (CNMS), Department of Middle East Economics.
Korkmaz, Suna (2015), The Effect of Military Spending on Economic Growth and Unemployment in Mediterranean Countries, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues Vol. 5, No. 1, 2015, pp.273-280 ISSN: 2146-4138.
MURA, Ladislav, Tibor ZSIGMOND, Adam KOVÁCS, Éva BALOGHOVÁ (2020), UNEMPLOYMENT AND GDP RELATIONSHIP ANALYSIS IN THE VISEGRAD FOUR COUNTRIES, DOI: 10.24193/OJMNE.2020.34.06.
Moughar, Zahra Karimi (2022), Iran Labour Market under the Sanctions, International Journal of New Political Economy.
Navarro, Marcos Sanso, MarÌa Vera Cabello(2015), The causal relationship between military spending and unemployment in the EU15, Departamento de An•lisis EconÛmico, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain.
OECD (2018), The new OECD Jobs Strategy Good jobs for all in a changing world of work, https://www.oecd.org/employment/jobs-strategy/.
Paul, Satya (1966), Defence spending and unemployment rates An empirical analysis for the OECD, Journal of Economic Studies 23,2.
Palát, M. (2011), The Impact of foreign Direct Investment on unemployment in japan, ACTA UNIVERSITATIS AGRICULTURAE ET SILVICULTURAE MENDELIANAE BRUNENSIS.
Valadkhani, Abbas (2006), Unemployment Conundrum in Iran, School of Economics and Information Systems University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia, http://ro.uow.edu.au/commwkpapers/151 .
World bank group (2017), Iran Economic Monitor, Sustaining Growth: The Challing of Job Creation, Public Disclosure Authorized.
6 مواقع الانترنیت:
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.