Promoting Outdoor Spaces Design features to Increase User Satisfaction in Residential Area. Duhok City as case Study
Keywords:Residential, Outdoor Space, Social Interaction, Design Features, Case Study, Questionnaire
The rapid development of the residential area in Duhok City and the new trend of housing policy towards high density and multifamily housing complexes affect the urban social life of the residents. The urban public open and green spaces in housing complexes create places for residents to come together and to strengthen their social networks. This research aims to investigate the outdoor space design approach in the new developed housing project (Avro city) as an example for high density multifamily housing complex due to its outdoor space design characteristics to identifying design features and elements that promote the quality of urban life and increase the user satisfaction in residential area. The researcher used qualitative data collection methodology using case study approach. The data collection method based on three sources namely the analytical study of the outdoor space design features from the available maps and site visiting, the on-Site observations of the residents, how they use the outdoor space, and the questionnaire survey results with the residents to measure their satisfaction about the outdoor space living environment. The findings of the research indicate that the design quality of the physical features such as landscape design, artificial water, landscape furniture, a proper pedestrian and greenery encourage people to use the outdoor space for social activities. Finally, the research provides guidelines for housing developers, urban designers and related governmental institutions to incorporate effective outdoor space design quality for successful urban living environment.
2. Outdoor Spaces should contain functionally defined areas for all age levels and can be modified for use by specific groups or the community.
3. Outdoor Spaces should be easy to access connecting the various space activities and pedestrian oriented with comfortable side walk
4. The landscape furniture and green area should be considered such as comfortable sitting places, trees, water fountain…. etc.
5. Outdoor Spaces should be designed in consideration of the environmental, socio cultural as well as identity of the place.
7. Carmona, M., Tiesdell, S., Heath,T., and Oct., (2010), “public places Urban spaces : The
8. dimensions of urban design”, Architectural press, UK.
9. Francis M (1987) Urban Open Space, Advanced in Environment, Behavior and Design (Vol. I). Environmental Design Research Association, New York and London
10. Friedmann, J., (2010), Place and Place-Making in Cities : A Global Perspective”, Planning
11. Theory & Practice
12. Gehl, 1987 Life between Buildings, The Danish Architectural Press, Copenhagen
13. Kellert, S. R. 2005, Building for life : Designing and understanding the Human- nature connection, Island press.
14. Lynch, K. (1981), A theory of good city form, MIT Press, Cambridge.
15. Marcus, C. C., (2003), Shared Outdoor Space and Community Life, placesjournal.org
16. Montgomery, J., (1998), “Making a city : Urbanity, Vitality and Urban Design”, Journal of Urban Design
17. Project for Public Spaces (2015), from Project for Public Spaces, http : //www.pps.org
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.