The Role of Human Resource Slack on the Total Quality Management Implementation “An Empirical study at College of Administration and Economics / University of Duhok”
Keywords:Organizational Slack, Human Resource Slack, Total Quality Management, Team working, Continuous Improvement, Customer Focus, Employ Involvement
This study aimed to find the level of the human resource (HR) Slack, and investigate its impacts on implementing Total Quality Management (TQM) as perceived by teaching board members at college of administration and economic / university of Duhok.
The study adopted the descriptive approach, and utilized a questionnaire for data collection. The sample of the study consisted of (69) teaching board members whom were selected randomly from the study population during the academic year 2017/2018.
The findings of the study indicated that, there was a significant negative relationship at (α ≤ 0.05) between the level of HR Slack and the level of TQM implementation. Furthermore, there was a statistically significant impact of HR slack as independent variables on the depended variables (team working, continuous improvement ,Customer Focus , and employee involvement) with default significance at (α ≤ 0.05).
In light of the findings , the study presents a set of suggestions including ; the necessity of reducing HR slack by spreading the culture of compliance with the rules and regulations work and the official working hours between the employees of the surveyed college included in the research , whatever their job location ,as well as ,the top management of the surveyed college should consider TQM as a priority in its interests, and involving the surveyed college to TQM implementation at all levels.
2. Al-Damen, Rula Ali, (2017), "The impact of Total Quality Management on organizational performance Case of Jordan Oil Petroleum Company", International Journal of Business and Social Science, 8(1), pp.192-202.
3. Andersen, T.J.,(2009),"Effective risk management outputs: exploring effects of Innovation and capital structure", J. Strategy and Management, 2(4): 352-379.
4. Azizi, A.R. and Nematollahi, Shiraz, (2010), "the Impact of Organizational Slack Management on the Relationship Between Organizational Slack and Innovation Performance through Information Sciences Technology in an Iranian University", World Applied Sciences Journal 10(12): 1457-1462.
5. Bou, J., Carlos & Beltran Inmaculada ,(2005),"Total quality management, high-commitment and human resource strategy and firm performance: An empirical study". Total Quality Management, 16(1), 71-86.
6. Bradley, S. W., Wiklund, J., & Shepherd, D. A.,( 2011),"Swinging a double-edged sword: The effect of slack on entrepreneurial management and growth", Journal of Business Venturing, 26(5): 537-554.
7. Dallabona, Lara Fabiana, Adriano, Bruna Pletsch, and Caroline , Sulzbach , (2017), "Antecedentes que explicam a folga organizational das cem menores empresas listadas na BM&FBOVESPA", Revista Interdisciplinar Científica Aplicada, Blumenau, 11 (4), pp.23-44.
8. Dreyer B and Grnhaug K ,(2004),"Uncertainty, flexibility, and sustained competitive advantage",Journal of Business Research 57(5): 484–494.
9. Esin , Sadikoglu and Hilal , Olcay, “The Effects of Total Quality Management Practices on Performance and the Reasons of and the Barriers to TQM Practices in Turkey,” Advances in Decision Sciences, vol. 2014, Article ID 537605, 17 pages, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/537605.
10. Fonseka, M.M., Peng, Wang, and Muhammad, Suhaib Manzoor, (2013), "Impact of human resource slacks on firm Performance: Evidence from a developing country", Zb. rad. Ekon. fak. Rij., 31( 2 ),pp. 279-306 .
11. Geiger , S. W. and M. Makri, (2006), “Exploration and exploitation innovation Process: The role of organizational slack in R & D intensive firms,”Journal of High Technology Management Research, 17(1), pp. 97-108.
12. Goerzen, A. and Beamish, P.W. (2007),” The Penrose effect: excess expatriates in
13. multinational enterprises”, Management International Review, 47(2),
14. pp. 221–239.
15. Heping , Zhong (2013), "Organizational Slack and the Marketing Performance of Information Technology Firms, International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology", 4(2), pp. 185-188.
16. Huai Jinmei, (2012),"Apply TQM to e-government outsourcing management". Physics Procedia, vol.24, 1159-1165.
17. Indumathi, N.,(2016), "Total Quality Management Impact On HRM Functions", international conference on latest innovation in science , engineering ,and management ,1st.October, New Delhi, India, PP:159-168, www.conferenceworld.in.
18. Lecuona, J. R., & Reitzig, M.,(2014),"Knowledge worth having in ‘excess’: The value of tacit and firm‐specific human resource slack",Strategic Management Journal, 35(7): 954-973.
19. Madanat, H. G., & Khasawneh, A. S. ,(2017),"Impact of Total Quality Management Implementation on Effectiveness of Human Resource Management in the Jordanian Banking Sector from Employees"’ Perspective, Academy of Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 16 (1): 21-30.
20. Mathur & Vipin ,(2011),"Principles of total quality management", Published by G.S. Rawat for Cyber Tech Publications, New Delhi, India.
21. McEwan D, Ruissen GR, Eys MA, Zumbo BD, Beauchamp MR ,(2017),"The Effectiveness of Teamwork Training on Teamwork Behaviors and Team Performance: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Controlled Interventions", Plops ONE 12(1).
22. Moovendhan V., (2015),"Investigating the mediating role of organizational slack to adaptive capability – firm performance linkages: evidence from India", a Doctoral Dissertation Submitted to Indian Institute of Management Indore DAI-A, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282287468. No 1.Retrieved on 2/6/2018.
23. Munizu, Musran (2013),"The Impact of Total Quality Management Practices towards Competitive Advantage and organizational Performance: case of Fishery Industry in South Sulawesi Province of Indonesia",Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, 7(1):184-197.
24. Othman , Fatimah A.H.,(2017), "The Organizational Slack of Private Secondary School Principals in the Capital Amman and its Relation to the Prevailed Organizational Culture, in their Schools from Teachers’ Point of View" , Master thesis in Educational Management and Leadership ,Faculty of Educational Science /Middle east university.
25. Richtner , Anders and Ahlstrom , Par,(2006), "Influences On Organizational Slack In New Product Development Projects" , International Journal of Innovation Management , 10(4), pp. 375–406.
27. Sgourev , Stoyan V. and Lent , Wim van (2017),"When too many are not enough: Human resource slack and performance at the Dutch East India Company", Human relations journal, 70 (11), p. 1293-1315
31. Siregar,I., Nasution , A., and Sari .R.,(2017), "Effect of Total Quality Management on the Quality and Productivity of Human Resources" , IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering.
32. Spillane. J., (2009),"Managing to lead: Reframing school leadership and management", Journal of the Professional Association in Education, 91(3), pp. 70- 73.
33. Titus ,Varkey Jr., and Welbourne ,Theresa M.,(2015), "Human Resource Slack, Human Capital Risk, and Firm Performance: Should Firms Grow Employees Faster Than Sales?", Affiliated Research Scientist, Center for Effective Organizations , Marshall School of Business - University of Southern California , http://ceo.usc.edu.
34. Vanacker, T., Collewaert, V., & Paeleman, I.,( 2013) ,"The relationship between slack resources and the performance of entrepreneurial firms: The role of venture capital and angel investors",Journal of Management Studies, 50(6): 1070-1096.
35. Voss, G.B.,(2008),"The effect of slack resources and environmental threat on product Exploration and exploitation" , Academy of Management Journal , 51,(1), 147–164.
36. Wickramasinghe, V., (2012),"Influence of total quality management on human resource management practices: An exploratory study ", International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 29(8), 836-850.
37. Wilkinson, A., Marchington, M. & Daleuman, B., (1994),"Manufacturing More Effective TQM: Implications for the Management of Human Resources", Research and Practice in Human Resource Management, 2(1), 69-88.
38. Yang, M. L., Wang, A. M. L., & Cheng, K. C., (2009),"The impact of quality of IS information and budget slack on innovation performance" , Technovation, 29(8), 527-536.
39. Zhang, Z., Waszink, A. and Wijngaard, J., (2000),“An instrument for measuring TQM implementation for Chinese manufacturing industries”, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 17 (7), pp. 730-755.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.