Back Propagation Neural Network(BPNN) and Sigmoid Activation Function in Multi-Layer Networks
Keywords:Artificial Neural networks, Sigmoid Function, Backpropagation ANNs, Neural networks
Back propagation neural network are known for computing the problems that cannot easily be computed (huge datasets analysis or training) in artificial neural networks. The main idea of this paper is to implement XOR logic gate by ANNs using back propagation neural network for back propagation of errors, and sigmoid activation function. This neural network to map non-linear threshold gate. The non-linear used to classify binary inputs (x1, x2) and passing it through hidden layer for computing coefficient_errors and gradient_errors (Cerrors, Gerrors), after computing errors by (ei = Output_desired- Output_actual) the weights and thetas (ΔWji = (α)(Xj)(gi), Δϴj = (α)(-1)(gi)) are changing according to errors. Sigmoid activation function is = sig(x)=1/(1+e-x) and Derivation of sigmoid is = dsig(x) = sig(x)(1-sig(x)). The sig(x) and Dsig(x) is between 1 to 0.
 Da Silva, I. N., Spatti, D. H., Flauzino, R. A., Liboni, L. H. B., & dos Reis Alves, S. F. (2017). Artificial neural networks. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
 Alan P. O. et al (). Adaptive Boolean Logic Using Ferroelectrics Capacitors as Basic Units of Artificial Neurons. www.electronic-tutorials.ws. [Accessed Date: Nov 2019].
 Sibi, P., S. Allwyn Jones, and P. Siddarth. (2013). "Analysis of different activation functions using back propagation neural networks." Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology 47.3: 1264-1268.
 Li, H., Zhang, Z., & Liu, Z. (2017). Application of artificial neural networks for catalysis: a review. Catalysts, 7(10), 306.
 haq Shaik, E., & Rangaswamy, N. (2017). Multi-mode interference-based photonic crystal logic gates with simple structure and improved contrast ratio. Photonic Network Communications, 34(1), 140-148.
 Wanto, A., Windarto, A. P., Hartama, D., & Parlina, I. (2017). Use of Binary Sigmoid Function And Linear Identity In Artificial Neural networks For Forecasting Population Density. International Journal Of Information System & Technology, 1(1), 43-54.
 Chung, H., Lee, S. J., & Park, J. G. (2016, July). Deep neural networks using trainable activation functions. In 2016 International Joint Conference on Neural networks (IJCNN) (pp. 348-352). IEEE.
 Bhattacherjee, A., Roy, S., Paul, S., Roy, P., Kausar, N., & Dey, N. (2020). Classification approach for breast cancer detection using back propagation neural networks: a study. In Deep Learning and Neural networks: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1410-1421). IGI Global.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Renas Rajab Asaad, Rasan I. Ali
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.