THE EFFECT OF USING DISCUSSION BOARDS ON EFL WRITING CLASSES: AN ACTION RESEARCH CASE STUDY
Online discussion boards (henceforth DBs) are nowadays widely implemented to guarantee better learning outcomes. DBs are considered a teaching method that provides more opportunities to learn a new language beyond time and physical constraints. This study was conducted to investigate the effect of the use of DBs on EFL students’ learning, particularly their achievement in academic writing. The study was carried out in the department of English, College of Basic Education, University of Duhok, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The sample of this study involved a total number of 56 male and female undergraduate students divided into two groups, the experimental group involved 28 students and the control group involved 28 students. The experimental group students were enrolled in a blended course to learn academic writing. The students involved were taught using both modes, online DBs and face-to-face sessions. The results indicated that students in the experimental group showed a better degree of improvement in exam scores than those in the control group. The findings showed that the implementation of DBs in addition to face-to face-classes in teaching English is likely to lead students to better achievement.
2. Al‐ Jarf, R. S. (2004). The effects of Web‐Based learning on struggling EFL college writers. Foreign Language Annals, 37(1), 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2004.tb021. Retrieved in October 18th 2018
3. Alghamdi, A. (2013). Pedagogical Implications of Using Discussion Board to Improve Student Learning in Higher Education. Higher Education Studies, 3(5), 68-80. https://doi.org/10.5539/hes.v3n5p68 .Retrieved in March 22nd 2018
4. Alharbi, M. (2015). Effects of Blackboard's Discussion Boards, Blogs and Wikis on Effective Integration and Development of Literacy Skills in EFL Students. English Language Teaching, 8(6), 111-132. https://doi.org/10.5539/elt.v8n6p111 .Retrieved in June 3rd 2018
5. Alzahrani, M. G. (2017). The Effect of Using Online Discussion Forums on Students' Learning. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology-TOJET, 16(1), 164-176. https://doi.org/10.5430/wje.v7n2p1 .Retrieved in March 22nd 2019
6. McTaggart, R., & Kemmis, S. (Eds.). (1988). The action research planner. Deakin University.
7. Noytim, U. (2010). Weblogs enhancing EFL students’ English language learning. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 1127-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.159
8. Raba, A. A. A., & Dweikat, K. A. J.(2016) The influence of English teaching forums on improving eleventh graders ‘writing skills in Habla secondary school for girls.
9. Rainey, I. (2000). Action research and the English as a foreign language practitioner: Time to take stock. Educational Action Research, 8(1), 65-91.https://doi.org/10.1080/09650790000200112
10. Raman, K., & Yamat, H. (2014). English teachers’ voices on the challenges of the school-based assessment. Frontiers of Language and Teaching, 5(1), 66-74.
11. Ramasubbu, S.The evolution of blended learning 2015,12,December.Huffpost. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/suren-ramasubbu/the-evolution-of-blended-learning_b_6666284.html
12. Riasati, M. J., Allahyar, N., & Tan, K. E. (2012). Technology in language education: Benefits and barriers. Journal of Education and Practice, 3(5), 25-30.
13. Salehi, H., & Salehi, Z. (2012). Integration of ICT in language teaching: Challenges and barriers. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on e-Education, e-Business, e-Management and e-Learning (pp. 215219). Singapore: IACSIT Press
14. Sharadgah, T. A. (2013). Writing in an Internet-Based Environment; Improving EFL Students' Writing Performance through Text-Based Chat. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 3(14), 258-266.
15. Singh, H., & Reed, C. (2001). A white paper: Achieving success with blended learning. Centra software, 1, 1-11.
16. Warni, S. (2016). Implementation of Online portfolios in an Indonesian EFL Writing Class (Doctoral dissertation, University of Sheffield).
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.