Multi-class Classifier based on Support Vector Machine with Application to Ordinal Data
Keywords:Data mining support vector machine, quadratic programming, multi-class classification, ordinal regression
Support vector machine initially developed to perform binary classification. This paper presents a multi-class support vector machine classifier and ordinal regression to classify the type of bone mineral density. This paper compares the performance of four multi-class approaches, one-against-all, one-against-one, Weston and Watkins, and Crammer and Singer. Results from our real life data conclude that Crammer and Singer may be better approach depending on training error and the percentage of correctly classified test data. Also, we fined that the training error become more less when the regulization parameter and kernel parameter become large.
Al-Jumaily, H., H., 2010, “Assessment for Osteoporotic Women in Mosul City”, MSc thesis, College of Nursing, Mosul University.
Crammer, K. and Singer, Y., 2000, “On the Learnability and Design of Output Codes for Multi Class Problems”, Computational Learning Theory, pp.35-46.
Hsu, C., W. and Lin, C., J., 2002, “A comparison of Methods for Multi-class Support Vector Machines”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 13, pp.415-425.
Hu, X. and Pan, Y., 2007, “Knowledge Discovery in Bioinformatics, Techniques, Methods, and Applications”, John Wiley & Sons, INC., NJ.
Ivanciuc, O., 2007, “Application of Support Vector Machines in Chemistry”, Reviews Computational Chemistry, Vol.23, pp.291-400.
Karatzoglou, A. and Meyer, D., 2006, “Support Vector Machines in R”, Journal of Statistical Software, Vol.15, Iss. 9, pp.1-28.
Kleinbaum, D.,G. and Klein, M., 2010, “Logistic Regression A self Learning Text”, 3rd ed., Springer Science + Business Media LLC, NY.
Liang, Y., Xu, Q., Li, H., and Cao, D., 2011, “Support Vector Machines and Their Application in Chemistry and Biotechnology”, Taylor and Francis Group, LLC., NY.
Monfrini, E. and Guermeur, Y., 2011, “A Quadratic Loss Multi-Class Support Vector Machine for Which a Rdius-Margin Bound Applies”, Informatica, Vol.22, No.1, pp.73-96.
Sangeetha, R. and Kalpana, B, 2011, “Performance Evaluation of Kernels in Multiclass Support Vector Machines”, International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering, Vol.1,Iss.5, pp.138-145.
Seeja, K.,R. and Shweta, L., 2011, “Microarray Data Classification Using Support Vector Machines”, International Journal of Biometrics and Bioinformatics, Vol.5, Iss.1, pp.10-15.
Statnikov, A., Aliferis, C., F., Hardin, D., P., and Guyon, I., 2011, “A Gentle Introduction to Support Vector Machines in Biomedicine”, World Scientific Publishing Co, Pte., Ltd., Singapore.
Vapnik, V., 2010, “The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory”, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlage New York, Inc., NY.
Westone, J. and Watkins, C., 1999, “Support Vector Machine for Multi-Class Pattern Recognition”, Proceeding of the 7th European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks.
Xia, F., Zhou, L., Yang, Y., and Zhang, W., 2007, “Ordinal Regression as Multiclass Classification”, International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems, Vol.12, No.3, pp.230-236.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.