An Efficient Method of Image Encryption Using Rossler Chaotic System
Keywords:Encrypted-image; initial conditions; encryption key; RC4; Rossler chaotic system.
In this study, a new approach of image encryption has been proposed. This method is depends on the symmetric encryption algorithm RC4 and Rossler chaotic system. Firstly, the encryption key is employed to ciphering a plain image using RC4 and obtains a ciphered-image. Then, the same key is used to generate the initial conditions of the Rossler system. The system parameters and the initial conditions are used as the inputs for Rossler chaotic system to generate the 2-dimensional array of random values. The resulted array is XORed with the ciphered-image to obtain the final encrypted-image. Based on the experimental results, the proposed method has achieved high security and less computation time. Also, the proposed method can be resisted attacks like (statistical, brute-force, and differential).
2. Amalarethinam, D. and Geetha J. (2015). Image Encryption and Decryption in Public Key Cryptography Based on MR. Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computing and Communications Technologies (ICCCT’15), Chennai, India.
3. Arab, A., Rostami, M. and Ghavami, B. (2019). An Image Encryption Method Based on Chaos System and AES Algorithm. Springer, The Journal of Supercomputing, 75(10):6663–6682.
4. Belazi, A., El-Latif, A., Rhouma, R. and Belghith, S. (2015). Selective Image Encryption Scheme Based on DWT, AES S-Box and Chaotic Permutation. Proceedings 2015 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), IEEE, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
5. Belazi, A., Rhouma, R. and Belghith, S. (2015). A Novel Approach to Construct S-Box Based on Rossler System. IEEE, Proceedings 2015 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), 611-615, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
6. Dixit P., Gupta A., Trivedi M. and Yadav V. (2018) Traditional and Hybrid Encryption Techniques: A Survey. In: Perez G., Mishra K., Tiwari S. and Trivedi M. (Ed.) Networking Communication and Data Knowledge Engineering. Lecture Notes on Data Engineering and Communications Technologies, 4: 239-248, Springer, Singapore.
7. Fu, C., Zhang, G., Zhu, M., Chen, Z. and Lei, W. (2018). A New Chaos-Based Color Image Encryption Scheme with an Efficient Substitution Keystream Generation Strategy. Hindawi: Security and Communication Networks, 2018:1-13.
8. Han, M. and Kim, Y. (2017). Unpredictable 16 bits LFSR-based True Random Number Generator. IEEE: Proceedings 2017 International SoC Design Conference (ISOCC) 284-285, Seoul, South Korea.
9. Jawad, L. and Sulong, G. (2015). A Survey on Emerging Challenges in Selective Color Image Encryption Techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(27):1-12.
10. Jindal, P. and Singh, B. (2015). RC4 Encryption-A Literature Survey. Elsevier: Procedia Computer Science, 46(2015): 697-705.
11. Kumari, M., Gupta, S. and Sardana, P. (2017). A Survey of Image Encryption Algorithms. Springer: 3D Display Research Center, 8(37):1-35.
12. Laiphrakpam, D. and Khumanthem, M. (2017). Cryptanalysis of Symmetric Key Image Encryption Using Chaotic Rossler System. Elsevier: Optik, 135(2017): 200–209.
13. Mandal, M., Kar, M., Singh, S. and Barnwal, V. (2014). Symmetric Key Image Encryption Using Chaotic Rossler System. Wiley: Security and Communication Networks, 7(11): 2145–2152.
14. Mondal, B. Sinha, N. and Mandal, T. (2016). A Secure Image Encryption Algorithm Using LFSR and RC4 Key Stream Generator. In: Nagar A., Mohapatra D. and Chaki N. (Ed.) Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computing, Networking and Informatics. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, 43: 227-237, Springer, New Delhi.
15. Rehman, A., Liao, X., Kulsoom, A., and Abbas, S. (2015). Selective Encryption For Gray Images Based on Chaos and DNA Complementary Rules. Springer, Multimedia Tools Application, 74(13): 4655–4677.
16. Shan，Y., He，M., Yu，Z. and Wu, H. (2018). Pixel level Image Encryption Based on Semantic Segmentation. IEEE, Proceedings 2018 International Conference on Control, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics & Optimization (ICCAIRO), 147-153, Prague, Czech Republic.
17. Tang, Z., Yang, Y., Xu, S., Yu, C. and Zhang, X. (2019). Image Encryption with Double Spiral Scans and Chaotic Maps, Hindawi: Security and Communication Networks, 2019:1-15.
18. Wen, W., Zhang, Y., Fang, Z. and Chen, J. (2015). Infrared Target-based Selective Encryption by Chaotic Maps. Elsevier, Optics Communications, 341: 131–139.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.