Problems Students Face in Translating Discourse Markers from English into Kurdish
Keywords:Keywords: Discourse markers, Grammatical category of discourse markers, Factions of discourse markers, Discourse markers in Kurdish, Fraser's (1999) Model
This paper investigates the problems are found in the translation of discourse markers from English into Kurdish. One of the main problems that discourse markers cause for translators is that discourse markers may have various possible translation choices. Moreover, a discourse marker has many functions, i.e. it may have more than one function. It can be thus used to show a variety of relations between several written discourse parts. Accordingly, a translator has to decide the function that a discourse marker has in a definite context to give the correct translation. In this paper Fraser's Model of discourse markers analysis (1999) has been chosen for investigating discourse markers. As for the data analysis, four students of the Department of Translation at the University of Duhok have been chosen to translate the same text from English into Kurdish to show the difficulties in choosing the correct discourse markers in these four different translations. The results showed that there are no equivalents in choosing the correct discourse markers when translating them into Kurdish.
Bazzanella, C. (2006) Discourse Markers in Italian: Towards a Compositional Meaning. In Kerstin Fischer(ed), Approaches to discourse particles (PP449-464). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
Brinton, L (1996). Pragmatic Markers in English: Grammaticalization and discourse fuctions. Brlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
Chalker, S. and Weiner, E. (1998) :The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Fraser, B. (1990). An approach to discourse markers. Journal of Pragmatics 14, 383-
Haliday, M and Matthiessen, Ch 2004). An introduction to the functional grammar. (3rd ed). London: Arnold.
Kohlani, M.A. 2010. The Function of Discourse Markers in Arabic Newspaper Opinion Articles. PhD dissertation. Washington: Georgetown University .
Labov, W. and Fanshel, D. (1977) : Therapeutic Discourse: Psychotherapy as Conversation, New York: Academic Press
Levinson,S. (1983): Pragmatics, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Östman, Jan-ola (1982) : "The Symbiotic Relationship between Pragmatic Particles and Impromptu Speech". In: N.E. Enkvist (ed.), Impromptu Speech: a Symposium (Abo: Abo Akademi), pp. 147-177.
Schiffrin, D. (1987): Discourse Markers, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Schourup, L. (1999). Discourse markers. Lingua 3(4), 227-265.
Stenstrom, A-B (1994): An Introduction to Spoken Interaction, London: Longman.
Takahara, P. (1998a) : "Pragmatic Functions of Discourse Markers in English and Japanese". Selected Paper from the 6lh International Pragmatic Conference,(1998),pp.547-576.
Zemarch, A.D. Rumisek, A.L.(2003). College writing from paragraph to essay. Oxford: Macmillan Education.
Zwicky, A (1985). Clitics and Particles. Journal of Language, vol. 61,No.2,PP.238-305.
3l[, B. (1992). Bestin u kirtandin le Kurdida. Namey Master: Zankoy
Emin, N. (1960). Rézmani Kurdi. Silémanii gapxaney Kameran.
Ferhadi, A. (2008). Riste u pa; riste térwaninéké erki. (eapa éké). Hewlérz
dezgay gap u belawkirdinewey Aras.
Kurdfiyiv, K. (1982). Rézmani Kurdi be /cerestey diyalékti kirmanci.
(Wergéran: Mukiryani, K.). Bexda: Eledib Elbegdadi.
;wani, R. (2003). Amrazi bestinewe le zimani Kurdida. Namey Ductura.
Tewfiq, Q. (2002). Peywendyekani néw deq. Namey Ductura: Zankoy
Wehbi, T. (1929). Desturi zimani Kurdi. (gapa éké).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Haneen Islam Saleem, Hakar Hazim M.Ameen
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.