Molecular Identification and Phylogenetic Relationship of Some Plant Species In Ashdagh Mountain, Sangaw, Kurdistan Of Iraq
Keywords:Phylogenetic, DNA barcoding, ITS, Chara, Kurdistan
Phylogenetic and molecular perspective of plant identification can reveal the plant composition of areas. Many new species have been identified based on morphological characters in different area of Kurdistan, but few have been identified through DNA barcoding method. In this study, Internal transcribed spacers 1 and 2 (ITS1 and ITS2) were used to identify some species in Ashdagh Mountain. The identified taxa were belonged to different families and clades and not recorded in any studies. The nucleotide sequences of identified species were 98-100% identical with species in the genebank database. The phylogenetic analysis showed diversity in phylogenetic relationships among coexisting species. In addition, the existing of Chara sp. in the acidic stream of Awa spi is a new record and not observed before. The finding of this study show the importance of using molecular and phylogenetic technique to identify and understand phylogenetic relationship among coexisting species because Kurdistan is a hot spot and need more emphasis. In addition, new species occurrence data has been added to flora of Kurdistan.
Abdulrahman, Shamiran, S., & S. E, S. (2020). Prunus longispinosa (Rosaceae): a new species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 52.
Almerekova, S., Shchegoleva, N., Abugalieva, S., & Turuspekov, Y. (2020). The molecular taxonomy of three endemic Central Asian species of Ranunculus(Ranunculaceae). PLOS ONE, 15(10), e0240121. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0240121
Álvarez, I., & Wendel, J. F. (2003). Ribosomal ITS sequences and plant phylogenetic inference. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 29(3), 417-434. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1055-7903(03)00208-2
Cheng, T., Xu, C., Lei, L., Li, C., Zhang, Y., & Zhou, S. (2015). Barcoding the kingdom Plantae: New PCR primers for ITS regions of plants with improved universality and specificity. Molecular ecology resources. doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12438
Folk, R. A., Siniscalchi, C. M., & Soltis, D. E. (2020). Angiosperms at the edge: Extremity, diversity, and phylogeny. Plant, Cell & Environment, 43(12), 2871-2893. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13887
Folk, R. A., Sun, M., Soltis, P. S., Smith, S. A., Soltis, D. E., & Guralnick, R. P. (2018). Challenges of comprehensive taxon sampling in comparative biology: Wrestling with rosids. American Journal of Botany, 105(3), 433-445. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/ajb2.1059
Hall, T. A. (1999). BioEdit: A User-Friendly Biological Sequence Alignment Editor and Analysis Program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series, 41, 95-98.
Hebert, P. D. N., Cywinska, A., Ball, S. L., & deWaard, J. R. (2003). Biological identifications through DNA barcodes. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences, 270(1512), 313-321. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2002.2218
Kharajiany, S. (2013). The Middle Oligocene Rock Strata (Tarjil Formation) in Ashdagh Mountain, Sangaw District, Sulaimani Governorate, Kurdistan Region , NE Iraq. Journal of Zankoy Sulaimani - Part A, 15, 119-132. doi: 10.17656/jzs.10262
Kumar, S., Stecher, G., Li, M., Knyaz, C., & Tamura, K. (2018). MEGA X: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis across computing platforms. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 35, 1547-1549.
Li, X., Yang, Y., Henry, R. J., Rossetto, M., Wang, Y., & Chen, S. (2015). Plant DNA barcoding: from gene to genome. Biological Reviews, 90(1), 157-166. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/brv.12104
Nilsson, R. H., Kristiansson, E., Ryberg, M., Hallenberg, N., & Larsson, K.-H. (2008). Intraspecific ITS variability in the kingdom fungi as expressed in the international sequence databases and its implications for molecular species identification. Evolutionary bioinformatics online, 4, 193-201. doi: 10.4137/ebo.s653
Qin, Y., Li, M., Cao, Y., Gao, Y., & Zhang, W. (2017). Molecular thresholds of ITS2 and their implications for molecular evolution and species identification in seed plants. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 17316. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-17695-2
Ray, S. (2014). Molecular Markers in Phylogenetic Studies-A Review. Journal of Phylogenetics & Evolutionary Biology, 02. doi: 10.4172/2329-9002.1000131
Sakar, Y. H., & Saman, A. A. (2020). Euphorbia shehbaziana (Euphorbiaceae), a New Species from Kurdistan Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 25(1), 73-74. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v25iss1.2020.n9
Saman, A. A. (2013). Ferula Shehbaziana (Apiaceae), A New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 18(2), 99-100. doi: 10.3100/025.018.0202
Saman, A. A. (2014). Onosma hawramanensis (Boraginaceae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 19(2), 201-202. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v19iss2.2014.n6
Saman, A. A. (2016a). Salvia ali-askaryi (Lamiaceae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 21(2), 227-229. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v21iss2.2016.n7
Saman, A. A. (2016b). Scrophularia kollakii (Scrophulariaceae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 21(1), 93-95. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v21iss1.2016.n7
Saman, A. A. (2017). Silene shehbazii (Caryophyllaceae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Novon: A Journal for Botanical Nomenclature, 25(2), 131-133. doi: 10.3417/2016009
Saman, A. A. (2019). Echinops Shakrokii (Asteraceae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 24(2), 71-73. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v24iss2.2019.n1
Saman, A. A., Azad, R., & Farideh, A. (2017). Cousinia azmarensis (Asteraceae, Cardueae), a New Species from Kurdistan, Iraq. Harvard Papers in Botany, 22(1), 71-73. doi: 10.3100/hpib.v22iss1.2017.n8
Saman R., A., Mohammad K., M., Hasan H., A., Azhar A., A.-M., & M. S., A.-R. (2013). Fauna and flora of Hawraman mountain (part one) Hawraman lowest zone, Kurdistan province north east of Iraq. Bulletin of the Iraq Natural Histroy Museum, 12(4).
Sami, Y., Ali, G., Ahmed, M., Honar, M., & Errol, V. (2019). Wild orchids of the Kurdistan Region areas: a scientific window on the unexpected nature of the North-Western Zagros.
Yao, H., Song, J., Liu, C., Luo, K., Han, J., Li, Y., . . . Chen, S. (2010). Use of ITS2 Region as the Universal DNA Barcode for Plants and Animals. PLOS ONE, 5(10), e13102. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013102
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.