Hybridizing Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm for Optimizing Edge-Detector Techniques
Keywords:swarm, swarm intelligent, edge detection, ant colony optimization, ACO, Canny edge detection
Ant colony optimization is a swarm intelligent algorithm that mimics the ant behaviors to optimize solutions for hard optimization problems. Over years Ant-based algorithms have been used in solving different problems including: Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP), Wireless Sensors Network (WSN), Benchmark Problem, and it has been used in various image processing applications. In the image processing fields various techniques have been used to detect edges in a digital image such as Canny and Sobel edge detectors. This Study, proposed a hybridized Ant Colony Optimization algorithm for optimizing the edge detector quality. The proposed method initializes its attribute matrix and the information at each pixel routed by ants on the input image. Experimental results show the results of the proposed algorithm and compare the results with the original built-in MATLAB edge detection method called Canny and the results of basic Aco edge detector. All three algorithms tested in different images and the MSE and PNSR are calculated before and after applying Gaussian noise. Based on the Experimental results obtained by the three used methods (Canny Edge Detector, Ant Colony Optimization, and Hybrid Aco-Canny), the proposed Hybrid ACO-CANNY methods was the best method for detecting edges.
Acharjya, P. P., Das, R., & ρ, D. G. (2012). Study and Comparison of Different Edge Detectors for Image Segmentation. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology Graphics & Vision, 12(13), 29-32.
Almufti, S. M. (2017). Using Swarm Intelligence for solving NP-Hard Problems. Academic Journal of Nawroz University, 6(3), 46-50. doi:https://doi.org/10.25007/ajnu.v6n3a78
Almufti, S. M. (2019). Historical survey on metaheuristics algorithms. International Journal of Scientific World, 1-12. doi:10.14419/ijsw.v7i1.29497
Almufti, S. M. (2021). The novel social spider optimization algorithm: overview, modifications, and applications. ICONTECH international journal of surveys, engineering, technology, 5(2), 35-51. doi:10.46291/ICONTECHvol5iss2pp32-51
Bahrami, M., Haddad, O. B., & Chu, X. (2017). Cat Swarm Optimization (CSO) Algorithm. In Advanced Optimization by Nature-Inspired Algorithms (pp. 9-18). Springer, Singapore. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-5221-7_2
Boyat, A. K., & Joshi, K. (2015). A REVIEW PAPER: NOISE MODELS IN DIGITAL IMAGE PROCESSING. Signal & Image Processing : An International Journal (SIPIJ), 63-75. doi:10.5121/sipij.2015.6206
Canny, J. (1986). A Computational Approach to Edge Detection. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PATTERN ANALYSIS AND MACHINE INTELLIGENCE, 8(9).
Ding, L., & Goshtasby, A. (2001). On the Canny edge detector. Pattern Recognition, 721}725.
Dorigo, M. (2004). Ant Colony Optimization. doi:ISBN 0-262-04219-3
Eberhart, R., & Kennedy, J. (1995). A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory. Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science (pp. 39-43). IEEE.
Gonzalez, R. C., & Woods, R. E. (1992). Digital Image Processing.
Ihsan, R. R., Almufti, S. M., & Marqas, R. B. (2020). A Median Filter With Evaluating of Temporal Ultrasound Image for Impulse Noise Removal for Kidney Diagnosis. Journal of Applied Science and Technology Trends, 71-77. doi:10.38094/jastt1217
Kanugo, S., & Mekala, A. M. (2016). Particle Swarm Optimization based Edge Detection Algorithms for Computer Tomography Images. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(37), 1-8. doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i37/102133
Karaboga, D. (2005). AN IDEA BASED ON HONEY BEE SWARM FOR NUMERICAL OPTIMIZATION., (pp. 1-10).
Krishnanand, K., & Ghose, D. (2009). Glowworm swarm optimization for simultaneous capture of multiple local optima of multimodal functions. Swarm Intell, 87–124. doi:10.1007/s11721-008-0021-5
Li, Y. (2010). Solving TSP by an ACO-and-BOA-based hybrid algorithm. 22-24. doi:10.1109/ICCASM.2010.5622108
Lu, D. S., & Chen, C. C. (2008). Edge detection improvement by ant colony optimization. Pattern Recognition Letters, 416-425.
Mirjalili, S., Mirjalili, S. M., & Lewis, A. (2014). Grey wolf optimizer. Advances in engineering software, 46-61. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2013.12.007
Rafsanjani, M. K., & Varzaneh, Z. A. (2015). Edge detection in digital images using Ant Colony Optimization. Computer Science Journal of Moldova, 33(3(69)), 343-359.
Rana, D., & Dalai, S. (2014). Review on Traditional Methods of Edge Detection to Morphological based Techniques. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, 5915-5920.
Saeed, V. A., Almufti, S. M., & Marqas, R. B. (2019). Taxonomy of bio-inspired optimization algorithms. Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Technology, 23-31. doi:DOI: 10.14419/jacst.v8i2.29402
Yang, X.-S. (2010). A New Metaheuristic Bat-Inspired Algorithm. Nature Inspired Cooperative Strategies for Optimization (NICSO 2010), (pp. 1-10). Retrieved from https://arxiv.org/abs/1004.4170
Yazdani, M., & Jolai, F. (2016). Lion Optimization Algorithm (LOA): A nature-inspiredmetaheuristic algorithm. Journal of Computational Design and Engineering, 3, 24-36. doi:10.1016/j.jcde.2015.06.003
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Saman Mohammed Abdulrahman
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.