Applications of Mixed Reality with Unity and Arduino
: in a fast-developing world of augmented reality and virtual reality, where advancement in both AR and VR has been unprecedent. there is a case to be made with mixed reality also. Basically, mixed reality a form of augmented reality where physical interactions can be made with computer generated objects placed in the user’s environment using physical input methods. This can have a profound impact on the way augmented reality application are developed and can open a world of endless possibilities for AR applications.
In this paper, a study of mixed reality application development is carried out using Unity as a development environment for mixed reality applications, along with Arduino for the development of different input/output methods used within the experience.
Unity is a game development engine that can be utilized to develop AR/VR/MR applications. The extensive toolkit in Unity enables developers to create applications with 3d models that can be experienced though AR glasses or devices capable of AR. Arduino is an open-source electronics platform based on easy-to-use hardware and software. Using Arduino microcontrollers and a variety of sensors, input and output methods, AR experiences can be made interactable physically.
Abou Zaidan, T. (2022, 4 5). Arduino Bluetooth Plugin. Retrieved from unity.com: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/input-management/arduino-bluetooth-plugin-98960#description
Ahmed, H. B. (2019). An augmented reality system to enhance facial expressions recognision in autistic children. Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Technology, 46-49.
Alkurdi, A. A. (2017). VR Mobile Acrophobia Treatment. Academic Journal of Nawroz University (AJNU).
Alkurdi, A. A. (2019). Augmented Reality Electric Circuit Experiment. International Conference on Advanced Science and Engineering (ICOASE). Duhok: IEEE.
Alkurdi, A. A. (2020). Educational Augmented Reality Solar System. Academic Journal of Nawroz University (AJNU).
Arduino. (2022, 4 4). Getting Started: FOUNDATION > Introduction. Retrieved from arduino.cc: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction
Bharath, V., & Patil, R. (2018). Solid Modelling Interaction with Sensors for Virtual Reality Welding. MATEC Web of Conferences (p. 1008). Bengaluru: EDP Sciences.
Bulman, j., Crabtree, B., Gower, A., Oldroyd, A., Lawson, M., & Sutton, j. (2004). Mixed reality applications in urban environments. BT Technology Journal.
Chang, R.-C., Chen, S.-N., Lin, H.-J., & Yu, H.-M. (2010). DUIRA: AN INTERACTIVE LEARNING PLATFORM FOR MIXED REALITY. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (pp. 1152-1153). Taichung: IEEE.
Cheng, J., Keyu, C., & Weiwei, C. (2020). State-of-the-art review on mixed reality applications in the AECO industry. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
Hamidi, E. Z., Effendi, M. R., Syarifuddin, F., Wildan, M., & Huda, U. N. (2021). Design and implementation of prototype smart plug at home automation based on bluetooth using Arduino uno. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (p. 042066). IOP Publishing.
Hughes, C. E., Stapleton, C. B., Hughes, D. E., & Smith, E. M. (2005). Mixed Reality in Education, Entertainment, and Training. IEEE Computer Scociety.
Kajikawa, N., Minami, Y., Kohno, E., & Kakuda, Y. (2016). On Availability and Energy Consumption of the Fast Connection Establishment Method by Using Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low Energy. 2016 Fourth International Symposium on Computing and Networking (CANDAR).
Kucera, E., Haffner, O., & Kozák, Š. (2018). Connection Between 3D Engine Unity and Microcontroller Arduino: A Virtual Smart House. Proceedings of the 29th International Conference 2018 Cybernetics & Informatics (K&I) (pp. 1-8). Lazy pod Makytou: IEEE.
Microsoft Inc. (2021, 11 23). Microsoft Docs. Retrieved from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens/hololens1-hardware
Milgram, P., Takemura, H., Utsumi, A., & Kishino, F. (1994). Augmented reality: a class of displays on the reality-virtuality continuum. SPIE. Telemanipulator and Telepresence Technologies.
Naif, Z. A., & Ahmed, H. B. (2020). A Study of Treatment of Lizard Phobia Using Visible and Invisible Marker-based AR Application. Academic Journal of Nawroz University (AJNU) 153.
Shelstad, W. J., Smith, D. C., & Chaparro, B. S. (2017). Gaming on the Rift: How Virtual Reality Affects Game User Satisfaction. the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (pp. 2072-2076). Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
Unity. (2022). docs.unity3d. Retrieved from Unity3d: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html
Unity. (2022, 3 25). Model File Formats. Retrieved from Unity Documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/3D-formats.html
Unity. (2022, 3 25). Physics. Retrieved from Unity DOcumentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PhysicsSection.html
Unity. (2022, 3 25). Unity’s Asset Store. Retrieved from Unity DOcumentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetStore.html
Verhey, J. T., Haglin, J. M., Verhey, E. M., & Hartigan, D. E. (2019). Virtual, augmented, and mixed reality applications in orthopedic surgery. The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Ahmed Alaa Hani Alkurdi, Hawar Bahzad Ahmed
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.