The effect of financial receivables on the company's market value (An analytical study of data from a sample of companies and banks in the Dubai Financial Market for the period (2012-2021))
The research aims to explain the influential relationship of financial receivables on the company’s market value by analyzing data from a sample of companies and banks in the Dubai Financial Market for the period (2012-2021). This research also aims primarily to understand the concept of each of receivables in their discretionary and non-discretionary forms and to conduct financial analysis. The statistician then showed the relationship between each of the receivables and the market value of the company. The value of companies and banks was estimated using Tobin's Q formula, while financial receivables were measured and separated into discretionary receivables and non-discretionary receivables by relying on a three-equation model that was developed by (Kothari). et al., 2005) in a sample of 16 banks and companies listed on the Dubai Financial Market. The data was analyzed in the program (SPSS v.26), and a negative relationship was found and documented between each of the receivables and the market value, and that financial receivables contribute to explaining the manipulation of profits (i.e. earnings management), whose effects are reflected in the decline in the market value of the banks and companies in the sample. The research also suggested that the management of the Dubai Stock Market and other regulatory authorities in the UAE work to develop legislative and legal remedies that oblige companies and banks affiliated with that market to adopt methods that improve disclosure controls and transparency in preparing financial reports for those companies and banks.
Thesis and decertation:
Chong, K. W. (2012). Prediction of Operating Cash flows Using Accrual Based and Cash-Based Accounting Information Among Malaysian Industrial Corporations. (Doctoral Thesis, Southern Cross University, Lismore, Australia). Retrieved from https://epubs.scu.edu.au/theses/256
Geagon, M. S. (2009). Evaluating Earnings Management with Derivatives and the Use of Accounting Accruals: A Quasi Experimental Approach. (Doctoral thesis, Walden University, Washington, United States).
Jackson, M. P. (2017). Revenue Accrual Quality as an Indicator of Financial Statement Fraud. (Doctoral Thesis, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Virginia).
Kodó, K. (2017). Literature Review of the Value Grid Model. (Master Thesis Halmstad University). Retrieved from http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:hh:diva-33421
Abbas, Z., Khan, A. M., & Rizwan, M. F. (2006). Abnormal accruals and firm value, panel data analysis of banking industry of Pakistan. European Journal of Scientific Research, 14(4), 445-454.
Alexander, D. R., Falta, M., & Willett, R. J. (2012). Using Forecasting Criteria to Identify Value Relevance in the Relationship Between Accounting Numbers and Market Value.Abacus,48(3), 316-347.
Arif, S., Marshall, N., & Yohn, T. L. (2016). Understanding the Relation Between Accruals and Volatility: A Real Options-Based Investment Approach. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 62(1), 65-86.
Ball, R., Gerakos, J., Linnainmaa, J. T., & Nikolaev, V. (2016). Accruals, Cash flows, and Operating Profitability in the Cross Section of Stock Returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 121(1), 28-45.
Carter, D. A., Rogers, D. A., & Simkins, B. J. (2006). Does hedging affect firm value? Evidence from the US airline industry. Financial management, 35(1), 53-86.
Efayena, O. (2015). The Role of Accrual Accounting Basis in the Prediction of Future Cash flows: The Nigerian evidence. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 6(4), 171-180.
Effiong, S. A., Asuquo, A. I., & Enya, E. F. (2020). Discretionary Accruals and Going Concern Of Manufacturing Companies. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, 9(2), 2976-2983.
Ferreira. (2013). Factors Affecting Firm Value of a Property and Real Estate Listed on the Indonesia Capital Market. Turkish Journal of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation, 32(3), 215-350.
Languju, O. (2016). Pengaruh Return On Equity, Ukuran Perusahaan, Price Earning Ratio dan Struktur Modal terhadap Nilai Perusahaan Property and real estate terdaftar di Bursa Efek Indonesia. Jurnal Berkala Ilmiah Eﬁsiensi, 16 (2), 387-398.
Larson, C. R., Sloan, R., & Giedt, J. Z. (2018). Defining, Measuring, and Modeling Accruals: A Guide for Researchers. Review of Accounting Studies, 23(3), 827-871.
Lewellen, J., & Resutek, R. J. (2016). The predictive power of investment and accruals. Review of Accounting Studies, 21(4), 1046-1080.
Mahdaleta, E., Muda, I., & Nasir, G. M. (2016). Effects of Capital Structure and Profitability on Corporate Value with Company Size as the Moderating Variable of Manufacturing Companies Listed on Indonesia Stock Exchange. Academic Journal of Economic Studies, 2(3), 30-43.
Maksum, A. (2018). Value of the Firm in Capital Structure Perspective. Economics, 6(1), 91-102.
Sudrajat, J., & Setiyawati, H. (2021). Role of Firm Size and Profitability on Capital Structures and its Impact Over Firm Value. Dinasti International Journal of Economics, Finance & Accounting, 2(1), 13-26.
Sukesti ,F., Ghozali ,I., Fuad,F., Almasyhari ,A., and Nurcahyono ,N., (2021). Factors Affecting the Stock Price: The Role of Firm Performance. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 8(2), 165-173.
Wira, V. (2021). The Effects of Financial Performance Toward Firm Value on Tourism, Hotel and Restaurant, and Transportation Sectors Listed on Indonesia Stock Exchange. Inovbiz: Jurnal Inovasi Bisnis, 9(1), 141-149.
Lande, E. (26, 5, 2006). Accrual Accounting in the public sector: Between institutional Competitiveness and the search for Legitimacy. Accounting reform in the public sector: Mimicry, Fad or Necessity, Poitires, France.
Zuhroh, I. (2019), “The Effects of Liquidity, Firm Size, and Proﬁtability on the Firm Value with Mediating Leverage” in The 2nd International Conference on Islamic Economics, Business, and Philanthropy (ICIEBP) Theme: “Sustainability and Socio Economic Growth”, KnE Page 203 Social Sciences, pages 203–230. DOI 10.18502/kss.v3i13.4206
Szutowski, D. (2016). Innovation and Market Value. The Case of Tourism Enterprises. Warsaw: Difin.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.