Transforming to Normality in Regression Analysis with Exponentially Residuals
In this article, a simulated study is introduced, focusing on the use of power transformation to estimate a nonlinear regression model in the presence of residuals following an exponential distribution. Four criteria were employed to estimate the power parameter: the p-value of Shapiro-Wilk test statistics for both the transformed and back-transformed data's normality, maximum likelihood estimation, and coefficient of determination. The findings of the study indicate that while it is possible to identify a range of viable solutions to select the optimal power parameter, finding a single optimal value that satisfies all estimation and decision methods is not feasible.
R. J. A. Little, “Maximum likelihood inference for multiple regression with missing values: A simulation study,” J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 76–87, 1979.
J. O. Rawlings, S. G. Pantula, and D. A. Dickey, Applied regression analysis: a research tool. Springer, 1998.
G. Box, “EP and Cox, D. R.‘,” An Anal. Transform. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B, vol. 26, pp. 211–252, 1964.
I. N. K. Yeo and R. A. Johnson, “A new family of power transformations to improve normality or symmetry,” Biometrika, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 954–959, 2000, doi: 10.1093/biomet/87.4.954.
I. Nishidate, Y. Aizu, and H. Mishina, “Estimation of melanin and hemoglobin in skin tissue using multiple regression analysis aided by Monte Carlo simulation,” J. Biomed. Opt., vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 700–710, 2004.
S. Han and D. W. Halpin, “The use of simulation for productivity estimation based on multiple regression analysis,” in Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference, 2005., 2005, pp. 8-pp.
H. Matsui, Y. Araki, and S. Konishi, “Multivariate regression modeling for functional data,” J. Data Sci., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 313–331, 2008.
A. Baíllo and A. Grané, “Local linear regression for functional predictor and scalar response,” J. Multivar. Anal., vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 102–111, 2009.
Hossain M. Z., “The use of Box-Cox transformation technique in economic and statistical analyses,” J. Emerg. Trends Econ. Manag. Sci., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2011.
Alyousif H. T. and and Abduahad F.N., “Develop a Nonlinear Model for the Conditional Expectation of the Bayesian Probability Distribution (Gamma – Gamma),” J. Al-Nahrain Univ., vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 205–212, 2014.
C. Fischer, “Comparing the logarithmic transformation and the Box-Cox transformation for individual tree basal area increment models,” For. Sci., vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 297–306, 2016, doi: 10.5849/forsci.15-135.
A. Efendi and Effrihan, “A simulation study on Bayesian Ridge regression models for several collinearity levels,” in AIP conference proceedings, 2017, vol. 1913, no. 1, p. 20031.
Atkinson A.C. and R.M. and C.A., The Box–Cox Transformation: Review and Extensions, vol. 36, no. 2. 2021, pp. 239–255. doi: 10.1214/20-STS778.
A. Al-Saffar and H. T. M. Ali, “Using Power Transformations in Response Surface Methodology,” in 2022 International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSASE), 2022, pp. 374–379.
J. I. Vélez, J. C. Correa, and F. Marmolejo-Ramos, “A new approach to the Box--Cox transformation,” Front. Appl. Math. Stat., vol. 1, p. 12, 2015.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.