Application Layer Distributed Denial of Service Attacks Defense Techniques : A review
Keywords:DoS, DDoS, Application Layer DDoS Attacks, Defense Techniques of Application Layer, DDoS Attacks
Currently distributed denial of service (DDoS) is the most sever attack that effect on the internet convenience. The main goal of these attacks is to prevent normal users from accessing the internet services such as web servers. However the more challenge and difficult types to detect is application layer DDoS attacks because of using legitimate client to create connection with victims. In this paper we give a review on application layer DDoS attacks defense or detection mechanisms. Furthermore, we summarize several experimental approaches on detection techniques of application layer DDoS attacks. The main goal of this paper is to get a clear view and detailed summary of the recent algorithms, methods and techniques presented to tackle these serious types of attacks.
2. Prasad, K.M., A.R.M. Reddy, and K.V. Rao,(2017), BARTD: Bio-inspired anomaly based real time detection of under rated App-DDoS attack on web. Journal of King Saud University-Computer and Information Sciences.
3. Kalkan, K., G. Gür, and F. Alagöz, (2016), Filtering-based defense mechanisms against DDoS attacks: A survey. IEEE Systems Journal.
4. Rajkumar, M.N., (2013), A survey on latest DoS attacks: classification and defense mechanisms. International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering 1(8): p. 1847-1860.
5. Coulouris, G.F., J. Dollimore, and T. Kindberg, (2005), Distributed systems: concepts and design: pearson education.
6. Kumar, V. and K. Kumar. (2016), Classification of DDoS attack tools and its handling techniques and strategy at application layer. in Advances in Computing, Communication, & Automation (ICACCA)(Fall), International Conference on, IEEE.
7. Deshmukh, R.V. and K.K. Devadkar, (2015), Understanding DDoS attack & its effect in cloud environment. Procedia Computer Science 49: p. 202-210.
8. Zhang, H., et al. SENTRY, (2016) : A Novel Approach for Mitigating Application Layer DDoS Threats. in Trustcom/BigDataSE/I SPA, 2016 IEEE, IEEE.
9. Talpur, S.R. and T. Kechadi. (2016) ,A survey on DDoS attacks: Router-based threats and defense mechanism in real-world data centers. in Future Technologies Conference (FTC), IEEE.
10. Ni, T., et al. , (2013), Real-time detection of application-layer DDoS attack using time series analysis. Journal of Control Science and Engineering 2013: p. 4.
11. Singh, B., K. Kumar, and A. Bhandari, (2015), Simulation study of application layer DDoS attack. in Green Computing and Internet of Things (ICGCIoT), 2015 International Conference on IEEE.
12. Meng, B., et al, (2017), DDOS Attack Detection System Based on Analysis of Users' Behaviors for Application Layer. in Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) and Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE.
13. Indraneel, S. and V.P.K. Vuppala, (2017), HTTP Flood attack Detection in Application Layer using Machine learning metrics and Bio inspired Bat algorithm. Applied Computing and Informatics.
14. Zolotukhin, M., et al, (2016), Increasing web service availability by detecting application-layer DDoS attacks in encrypted traffic. in Telecommunications (ICT), 2016 23rd International Conference on, IEEE.
15. Xu, C., et al, (2014), Detection on application layer DDoS using random walk model. in Communications (ICC), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE.
16. Sivabalan, S. and P. Radcliffe, (2013), A novel framework to detect and block DDoS attack at the application layer. in TENCON Spring Conference, 2013 IEEE, IEEE.
17. Shtern, M., et al. Towards mitigation of low and slow application ddos attacks. in Cloud Engineering (IC2E), 2014 IEEE International Conference on. 2014. IEEE.
18. Zhou, W., et al., (2014), Detection and defense of application-layer DDoS attacks in backbone web traffic. Future Generation Computer Systems, 38: p. 36-46.
19. Yadav, S. and S. Subramanian, (2016), Detection of Application Layer DDoS attack by feature learning using Stacked AutoEncoder. in Computational Techniques in Information and Communication Technologies (ICCTICT), 2016 International Conference on, , IEEE.
20. Beitollahi, H. and G. (2012), Deconinck, Tackling application-layer DDoS attacks. Procedia Computer Science, 10: p. 432-441.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.