Words and Meanings of Love in Arabic and English with Reference to Translation
Keywords:Words, Means, Translation.
The research is an attempt to shed light on words of love in both Arabic and English for the sake of showing the main differences and similarities between both languages and ways of thinking by the speakers of both cultures.
Each word carries a positive and/or negative sense which may be covered by the so-called word nuances. Arabic words are unique in their denotation with different connotations. Therefore, it is difficult to say that a word can stand for another one because Arabic words of love, as the study reveals, are to varying degrees highly emotional and meaningful. English words of love, on the other hand, are clear and forward, frequently associated with sex in modern English. For this reason, they are elaborated on separately as a threshold to discuss the main problems emerging in translating some of them particularly, from Arabic into English. It is found that there is no one-to-one correspondence, except for few of them, between the Arabic words and their English counterparts.
The research indicates that the translation of words of love is highly stylistically and contextually bound. Hence, translating such words requires a well-versed and competent translator.
Finally, the research comes up with some conclusions that have been arrived at during this work.
1. Ba'lbakki,M.(2010).Al Mawrid (English-Arabic Dictionary). Dar AlElm Lilmalaeen: Beirut.
2. Baker,M.(1992). In Other Words: A Coursebook on Translation. London: Routledge.
3. Catford,J.C.(1965). A Linguistic Theory of Translation. Oxford:Oxford University Press.
4. Ehrlich,E.; Stuart,B.F.; Corton,C.; and Joyce,M.H.(1980). Oxford American Dictionary. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.
5. En.wikipedia .org/wiki/love (2017)
6. Fallows,S.(1988). A Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms. Fleming H. Revell Company: London.
8. https:// sunnah.com
9. Holman,C.H.(1980). A Handbook to Literature. Bob bs-Merrill Educational Publishing(4th ed.): Indianapolis.
10. Hornby,A.S.(2010). Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
11. Khan,M. and T.Al Hilali(2007). Interpretation of the Meanings of The Noble Quran in The English Language. Riyadh: Maktaba Dar-us-Salam.
12. Mc Guire,S.B.(1980). Translation Studies. London: Methuen.
13. Newmark,P.(1982). Approaches to Translation. Oxford: Pergamon Press Ltd.
14. Palmer,F.R.(1980). Semantics. Cambridge: Cambridge University press.
15. Qutub,M.A.(1991). Al Hub Wal Jins Min Manthurin Islami. Al Juthoor Press: Baghdad.
16. The Glorious Quran. (2010). Riyadh: Majma? Al-Malik
17. Fahad bin Abdulaziz for Printing and Distribution.
18. Fahad bin Abdulaziz for Printing and Distribution.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.