Kurdish- Arabic Text in Computer with Non-Standards, Challenges and Recommendations
Keywords:Script, character, Unicode, Kurdish-Arabic characters, Encoding.
This paper determines challenges when using Kurdish-Arabic script (Kurdish and Arabic characters) with computer. Any written script in computer passes in three steps, started from input characters (creating characters), store created characters (encoding) and displaying characters on screen or printing on printer. In Kurdish-Arabic written system (Central Kurdistan) challenges occur on these three steps, as a result, there is not standard (compatible issue) for Kurdish-Arabic script, such as keyboard layout (position of characters and ordered on board) (input issue), encoding for storing script and fonts to displaying Kurdish-Arabic script when using Arabic based keyboard. This research tries to find issues with cases while using this script and proposed recommendations which help to reduce these challenges.
2. Gautier, G. (1998). Building a kurdish language corpus: An overview of the technical problems. Proceedings of ICEMCO. Retrieved from http://ggautierk.free.fr/e/icem_98.htm
3. Gautier, G. H. (1996). Dirêjî Kurdî : a lexicographic environment for Kurdish language using 4th Dimension®. In C. University (Ed.), 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Multilingual Computing (ICEMCO) (Vol. 5, p. Session of the 12th April). Londres, United Kingdom. Retrieved from https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00676294
4. ISO-8859-1 Reference. (2015). Retrieved 7 October 2017, from https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_html_8859.asp
5. QasemiZadeh, B., Rahimi, S., & Ghalati, M. S. (2005). Challenges in Persian Electronic Text Analysis, 5.
6. Shamsfard, M. (2011). Challenges and open problems in Persian text processing. Proceedings of LTC, 11.
7. Farghaly, A., & Shaalan, K. (2009). Arabic natural language processing: Challenges and solutions. ACM Transactions on Asian Language Information Processing (TALIP), 8(4), 14.
8. Unicode. (2017). Unicode. Retrieved 6 October 2017, from http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html
9. w3school. (2016). HTML Character Sets. Retrieved 7 October 2017, from https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/default.asp
10. W3Team. (2017). CSS Web Safe Fonts. Retrieved 30 June 2018, from https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_websafe_fonts.asp
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.