Advanced Encryption Standard Enhancement with Output Feedback Block Mode Operation
Keywords:Advanced Encryption Standard, Output Feedback Block, Block Cipher Mode Operation, Cryptography
There is a great research in the field of data security these days. Storing information digitally in the cloud and transferring it over the internet proposes risks of disclosure and unauthorized access; thus, users, organizations, and businesses are adapting new technology and methods to protect their data from breaches. In this paper, we introduce a method to provide higher security for data transferred over the internet, or information based in the cloud. The introduced method, for the most part, depends on the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) algorithm, which is currently the standard for secret key encryption. A standardized version of the algorithm was used by The Federal Information Processing Standard 197 called Rijndael for the AES. The AES algorithm processes data through a combination of exclusive-OR operations (XOR), octet substitution with an S-box, row and column rotations, and MixColumn operations. The fact that the algorithm could be easily implemented and run on a regular computer in a reasonable amount of time made it highly favorable and successful. In this paper, the proposed method provides a new dimension of security to the AES algorithm by securing the key itself such that even when the key is disclosed; the text cannot be deciphered. This is done by enciphering the key using Output Feedback Block Mode Operation. This introduces a new level of security to the key in a way, in which deciphering the data requires prior knowledge of the key and the algorithm used to encipher the key for the purpose of deciphering the transferred text.
Daemon, J & Rijman, V. (2003). Computer Security Resource Center. Available from: http://www.csrc.nist.gov/archive/aes/rijndael/Rijndael-ammended.pdf. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Daemen, J & Rijmen, V. (2013). The Design of Rijndael: AES - The Advanced Encryption Standard. Brussel: Springer
Science and Business Media.
DI Management Services Pty Limited. (2003). DI Management. Available from: http://www.di-mgt.com.au/cryptopad.html. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Jain, R. (2011). Washington University. Available from: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cse571-11/ftp/l_05aes.pdf. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Kaufman, C., Perlman, R & Speciner, M. (2002). Network Security: Private Communication in a Public World. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall Press.
McGill. (2000). RIJNDAEL Advanced Encryption Standard. Available from: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~kaleigh/computers/crypto_rijndael.html. [Last accessed on 2017 Apr 24].
National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2001). Computer Security Resource Center. Available from: http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Shneier, B. (2009). Shneier on Security. Available from: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Trenholme, S. (n.d). Sam Trenholme. Available from: http://www.samiam.org/s-box.html. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Trenholme, S. (n.d). Sam Trenholme. Available from: http://www.samiam.org/mix-column.html. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 08].
Wagner, N.R. (2002). The University of Texas at San Antonio. Available from: http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~wagner/laws. [Last retrieved on 2016 Aug 08].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Renas R. Asaad, Saman M. Andulrahman, Ahmed A. Hani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.