The reality of the Iraqi banking system and ways to restructure it
The research sought to get acquainted with the reality of the Iraqi banking system, to provide a clear vision of this reality, to clarify its problems, and to identify weaknesses in it, and thus to present a proposal to restructure it according to its situation in order to improve it and restore confidence to it. As the research problem was represented by the inability of the Iraqi banking system to provide the required banking services in a sophisticated manner and the failure to introduce modern banking services based on advanced technologies, in addition to its inability to serve the Iraqi economy and do financial mediation in the required form and this is reflected in the form of lack of confidence in the banking system by dealers . In general, the research attempts to answer the following question, which is the reality of the banking system in Iraq, and does it need to be restructured?
To answer this question, a basic hypothesis was developed. To test the validity of this hypothesis, data related to the reality of the Iraqi banking system was collected and analyzed using a set of banking indicators and the research reached a number of conclusions, the most important of which are:
That the form of ownership used in the Iraqi banking system makes it suffer from the diseases of the government sector and its problems, including affecting the freedom of banks to take any sound banking decisions, to the extent that these decisions are in many cases inconsistent with considerations of productive efficiency,
The Iraqi banking system suffers from a high degree of concentration in the share of banks and the spread of the oligopoly phenomenon, as a group of government banks acquire a large amount of banking activity.
Depending on the findings of the research, I have presented a proposal consistent with these conclusions at the level of the banking system, in addition to other proposals that help the success of the restructuring process and the many benefits it brings to the Iraqi banking industry.
2. النشرة الاحصائية للبنك المركزي العراقي للسنوات 2010 -2016
3. التقرير الاقتصادي للبنك المركزي العراقي للسنوات 2010- 2016
4. تقرير السياسة النقدية في العراق للسنوات 2010- 2016
5. بن قدارة، فرحات عمر، 2007, تطوير واعادة هيكلة المصارف الليبية
6. الدويني، كمال يوسف، 2017، أعادة هيكلة القطاع المصرفي العربي، الطبعة الاولى ، العربي للنشر والتوزيع ، القاهر ، مصر
7. الركابي، ناجي شايب كايم ، جنان علي حمودي،2014، دور أليات حوكمة المصارف في أعادة هيكلة المصارف الحكومية العراقية، مجلة الادارة والاقتصاد المجلد السابع والثلاثون ، العدد تسعة وتسعون ص 232-256.
8. اللطيف، مصطفى، عبد الحميد، صديق، 2007، أﺛﺮ إﻋﺎدة ﻫﻴﻜﻠﺔ اﻟﺠﻬﺎز اﻟﻤﺼﺮﻓﻲ ﻋﻠﻰ زﻳﺎدة وﺗﻨﻤﻴﺔ القدرة اﻟﺘﻨﺎﻓﺴﻴﺔ ﻟﻠﺒﻨﻮك، ﺟﺎﻣﻌﺔ قاصدي ﻣﺮﺑﺎح ورﻗﻠﺔ .
9. علي، أحمد ابريهي، 2018، المصارف والائتمان والعمق المالي بين العراق والتجربة الدولية، البنك المركزي العراقي ، مجلة الدراسات النقدية والمالية، العدد 3.ص1-63
10. فهمي، حسين كامل ، 1992، نحو أعادة هيكلة النظام المصرفي الاسلامي ، مجلة جامعة الملك عبد العزيز ، الاقتصاد الاسلامي ،مجلد 4،ص3-43.
11. كنجو، عبود كنجو،2005، الابعاد المفقودة في اصلاح النظام المصرفي في سوريا ، المؤتمر العلمي الرابع تحت شعار إستراتيجيات الاعمال في مواجهة العولمة، جامعة فيلادلفيا، الاردن، ص2-15.
12. النصيري، سمير،2011، اصلاح قطاع المصرفي في العراق ، أتحاد مصارف العربية ، العدد 367، ص 175-174
13. Borish ,Michael & Millard F. Long and Michel Noel, 1995,Restructuring Banks and Enterprises , Recent Lessons from Transition Countrles, The International Bank for Recoistruction and Developmiienit , the World Bank.
14. Bomhoff, Andrea, Anna Jarosz-Friis & Nicola Pesaresi , 2009, Restructuring banks in crisis — overview of applicable State aid rules .
15. Kithinji, Angela Mucece, Mirie Mwangi, Kate Litondo & Martin Ogutu,bank,2017, Restructuring and Financial performance, International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, Vol. V, Issue 10.p 84-98
16. Maia ,Geraldo, 1999,Restructuring the banking system – the case of Brazil, bank Restructuring in practice, bank forinternational settlements Monetary and Economic Department Basel, Switzerland , No. 6 .p101-123
17. Mwenda, Kenneth Kaoma,2000,Banking supervision and systemic Bank Restructuring, an Internation and Comparative legal perspective, First published in Great Britain by Cavendish Publishing Limited, The Glass House, Wharton Street, London WC1X 9PX, United Kingdo
18. Shazly ,Alaa , 2001, Incentive-Based Regulations and Bank Restructuring in Egypt, Topics in Middle Eastern and African Economies Vol. 3,p
19. Son,Nguyen Hong, Tran Thi Thanh Tu & Tran Thi Hoang Yen,2014. Bank Restructuring–International Perspectives and Vietnam Practices, Accounting and Finance Research Vol. 3, No. 2.p36-50.
20. Scardovi,Claudio, 2016, Restructuring and Innovation in Banking , Springer Briefs in Finance, London UK.
21. Ito, Takatoshi and Yuko Hashimoto,2007, Bank Restructuring in Asia: Crisis management in the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis and prospects for crisis prevention –Malaysia, the Reserch Institute of Economy ,Trade and Industry
22. Weston J ,F & Thomas E,C, 1998, Managerial Finance, Fourth Edition the Dryden press, New York.
23. xiang, Li Bing & Dileep Meht, 2001, Restructuring of Chinese Banking Industry, China and World Economy , No. 3,p123-129.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.