Advanced car-parking security platform using Arduino along with automatic license and number recognition
The open-source hardware development platform Arduino has been growing in recent years. Nowadays, the Arduino platform became one of the important parts in remote control and monitor of electrical devices. This paper aims to propose an application of digital image processing along with Arduino, which can be useful in car-parking place to be more secure. Arduino will detect the car and take a picture for its plat and send it to the system. Then, system applies digital image processing technique in the image. Different algorithms are incorporated in system such as segmentation, normalization, localization, orientation and optical character recognition (OCR) which analyze certain features in image and predicts car plate numbers. Afterwards the resulting data are compared against records in a stored database.
 B.D. Acosta, Experiments in image segmentation for automatic US license plate recognition, M.Sc. thesis, Department of Computer Science, Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (2004).
 C.N.E. Anagnostopoulos, I.E. Anagnostopoulos, I.D. Psoroulas, V. Loumos and E. Kayafas, License Plate Recognition From Still Images and Video Sequences: A Survey, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 9 (2008), no. 3, 377–391.
 C.N.E. Anagnostopoulos, I.E. Anagnostopoulos, V. Loumos and E. Kayafas, A License Plate. Recognition Algorithm for Intelligent Transportation System Applications, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 7 (2006), no. 3, 377–392.
 S..L. Chang; L..S. Chen; Y..C. Chung; S..W. Chen, Automatic License Plate Recognition, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 5 (2004), no. 1, 42–53.
 S. Draghici, A neural network based artificial vision system for licence plate recognition, Inter. national Journal of Neural Systems 8 (1997), no. 1, 113–126.
 B. Enyedi, L. Konyha, C. Szombathy and K. Fazekas, Strategies for fast license plate number localization, Proceedings of the 46th International Symposium Electronics in Marine, Elmar 2004, Zadar, Croatia, June 16.18, 2004, IEEE Press (2004), 579–584 .
 J..W. Hsieh, S..H. Yu and S..H. Yu, Morphology.based License Plate Detection from Complex Scenes, IEEE Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Qubec City, Canada, August 11.15, 2002, Vol. 3 (2002), 176.179.
 O. Martinsky, Algorithmic And Mathematical Principles Of Automatic Number Plate Recognition Systems, B.Sc. thesis, Department of Intelligent Systems, Faculty of Information Technology, Brno University of Technology (2007).
 V. Shapiro, D. Dimov, S. Bonchev, V. Velichkov and G. Gluhchev, Adaptive License Plate Image Extraction, Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Computer systems and technologies, Rousse, Bulgaria, June 17.18, 2004 (K. Boyanov), ACM New York, NY, USA (2004), 1.7.
 H. Sarukhanyan, S. Alaverdyan, and G. Petrosyan, Automatic Number Plate Recognition System, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technologies, Yerevan, Armenia, September 28.2 October, 2009, Electronic Copy of the CSIT 2009 Proceedings, 347.350.
 C. A. Rahman, W. Badawy, and A. Radmanesh, "A Real Time Vehicle? s License Plate Recognition System," in null, 2003, p. 163.
 T. Sirithinaphong and K. Chamnongthai, "The recognition of car license plate for automatic parking system," in Signal Processing and Its Applications, 1999. ISSPA'99. Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on, 1999, pp. 455.457.
 S. Du, M. Ibrahim, M. Shehata, and W. Badawy, "Automatic license plate recognition (ALPR): A state.of.the.art review," Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, pp. 311.325, 2013.
 M. V. Srinu and B. S. Shankar, "Real Time Car Parking System and Parking Fee Display Using Raspberry Pi," International Journal of Research, vol. 3, pp. 421.426, 2016.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.