EFL Teachers’ Awareness and Opinions on the 21st Century's Creativity and Innovation skill
Creativity and innovation skill is considered one of the important skills of the 21st-century education, in general, and in language education, in particular. This paper aims at investigating the awareness and opinions of English as Foreign Language (EFL) teachers’ on the importance and use of creativity and innovation skill as one of the 21st-century foreign language education skills in EFL classes at the department of English, College of Basic Education, Salahaddin University. A questionnaire consisting of two parts has been used in order to achieve the aims of the study. The first part of the questionnaire, which includes five items, addresses the teachers’ awareness, while the other part, which is composed of three items, is related to the teachers’ opinions. Twenty EFL teachers, (10) males and (10) females, who are specialized in applied linguistics and general linguistics participated in the study. The study has found out that the teachers’ understudy are aware of the use and importance of creativity and awareness skill in teaching and learning English as a foreign language, and they also hold positive opinions on that. Moreover, there are no differences among the teachers in terms of their gender, academic rank, and teaching experiences to the awareness and importance of the use of creativity and innovation skill in teaching and learning English as a foreign language.
Albahlal, F. S. (2019). The Integration of 21th Century Skills into English Language Learning. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 6(3), 144-154.
Andiliou, A., & Murphy, P. K. (2010). Examining variations among researchers’ and teachers’ conceptualizations of creativity: A review and synthesis of contemporary research. Educational Research Review, 5(3), 201-219.
Baran-Łucarz, M., & Klimas, A. (2020). Developing 21st Century Skills in a Foreign Language Classroom: EFL Student Teachers’ Beliefs and Self-Awareness. Academic Journal of Modern Philology, 10, 23-38.
Bedir, H. (2019). Pre-service ELT teachers’ beliefs and perceptions on 21st century learning and innovation skills (4Cs). Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 15(1), 231-246.
Blbas, H. (2019). Statistical analysis for the most influential reasons for divorce between men and women in Erbil-Iraq. International Journal. Malmö, Sweden.
CBSE, (2020). 21st Century Skills: A Handbook, Delhi, India: The Secretary, Central Abroad of Secondary Education. Shiksha Kendra, Community Centre, Preet Vihar, Delhi.
Cimermanová, I. (2013). Creativity in Foreign Language Teaching. International Journal For Innovation Education And Research, 1(3), 7-14.
Fandiño Parra, Y. J. (2013). 21st century skills and the English foreign language classroom: A call for more awareness in Colombia. Gist Education and Learning Research Journal, 7, 190-208.
Hair, J. F. Jr., Babin, B., Money, A. H., & Samouel, P. (2003). Essential of business research methods. John Wiley & Sons: United States of America.
Johnson, B., (2019). 4 Ways to Develop Creativity in Students. Edutopia. (2022). Retrieved 22 April 2022, from https://www.edutopia.org/article/4-ways-develop-creativity-students .
McKeeman, L., & Oviedo, B. (2013). Enhancing communicative competence through integrating 21st century skills and tools. 2013 CSCTFL Report, 39-54.
P21 (2007). The Intellectual and Policy Foundations of the 21st Century Skills Framework. Partnership for 21st Century Skills. Scientific Research Publishing. Scirp.org. (2022). Retrieved 22 July 2022, from https://www.scirp.org/(S(351jmbntvnsjt1aadkposzje))/reference/ReferencesPapers.aspx?ReferenceID=1412321.
Piirto, J. (2011). Creativity for 21st century skills. In Creativity for 21st Century Skills (pp. 1-12). Sense Publishers.
Puchta, H., & Williams, M. (2011). Teaching Young Learners to Think. Innsbruck and Cambridge: Helbling Languages and Cambridge University Press.
Ravitz, J. (2014). A survey for measuring 21st century teaching and learning: West Virginia 21st Century Teaching and Learning Survey [WVDE-CIS-28]. Department of Education, West Virginia.
Salkind, N. J. (2010). Spearman’s correlation coefficient. Encyclopaedia of research design, 1. SAGE Publications, Inc) | PDF | Errors and Residuals | Statistical Hypothesis Testing. Scribd. (2022). Retrieved 22 July 2022, from https://www.scribd.com/document/427102862/Neil-J-Salkind-Encyclopedia-of-Research-Design-2010-SAGE-Publications-Inc-pdf.
Stauffer, B. (2022). What Are the 4 C's of 21st Century Skills? Aeseducation.com. Retrieved 22 June 2022, from https://www.aeseducation.com/blog/four-cs-21st-century-skills.
Thammineni, H. B. (2012). Creativity, the Crux of English Language Teaching and Learning. IUP Journal of Soft Skills, 6(1).
Wilson, J. (2014). Essentials of business research: A guide to doing your research project. Essentials of Business Research, 1-376.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Academic Journal of Nawroz University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.