Investigating the Literary Competence Development of the Tertiary Level’s EFL Learners: The Novel as a Model
Keywords:Literary awareness, literary competence, literary knowledge
This research paper is dedicated to investigate the development of the ‘literary competence of the EFL learners at 3 universities within Duhok Governorate area during the academic-year 2014-2015.
Justifying the need for this study in an introduction, stating the problem; specifying the scope of the aims of the study, confining the study to certain limits, drawing certain hypotheses which the study could argue about, making survey of some related literature in the field, giving definition to the key terms of the study, finally the researcher designed a questionnaire in order to use it as a tool in investigating the development of the EFL learners’ assumed ‘literary competence’.
EFL Learners at 4 departments of English in 3 universities within the area of Duhok Governorate were involved as a study-community.
Next, after selecting the research-sample, distributing the questionnaire forms, collecting back the forms with feedback, analyzing the collected data, the researcher finally got important findings about the reality and the development of the EFL learners’ ‘literary competence’ at the tertiary level, and among them are the following:
- EFL tertiary level students have got a very poor literary competence,
- EFL tertiary level students’ literary competence should have been acquired during the pre-college learning levels through reading of the mother-tongue’s literature, and then could be developed through reading the EFL literature,
- EFL tertiary level’s students could hardly improve their literary competence standard during the EFL 4-year-college English literature reading, and
The findings not only paved the way to draw important conclusions about the development of the tertiary level EFL learners’ ‘literary competence’ in novel study, but also provided the possibility to generalize the arrived at conclusions to include the teaching of poetry, short story, and drama; and consequently, the conclusions led to put forward necessary recommendations on how to improve the ‘literary competence’, and the ‘aesthetic taste and mood’ of the EFL learners in general.
Brumfit, C. J. & Carter R. A. (2000) Literature and Language Teaching. Oxford Oxford University Press
Chambers, E. & Marshal, G. (2006) Teaching & Learning English Literature. London Sage Publication
Duff, Alan and Maley, Alan (2003) Literature. NY-China-Oxford Oxford University Press
Gill, R. (2006) Mastering English Literature. Great Britain Palgrave Macmillan
Hedge, T. (2003) Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. Oxford Oxford University Press
Kumaravadivelu, B (2012) Language Teacher Education for Global Society. New York & London Routledge
Nizi, N. & Gautam, R. (2007) How to Study Literature. Tehran Rahnama Press
Short, M. (1969) Exploring the Language of Poems, Plays, and Prose. London & New York Longman
Swnior, R. M. (2006) The Experience of Language Teaching Cambridge- New York Cambridge University Press
Lazar, G. (2013) Literature and Language Teaching. Cambridge University University Printing House
Watson, G. and Zyngier, S. (2007) Literature and Stylistics for Language Learners. Palgrave Macmillan. Great Britain
Widdowson, H. D. (2003) Defining Issues in English Language Teaching. Oxford Oxford University Press
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.