Alignment of Curriculum Elements at the Course Level : Two Useful Tools
Keywords:Nawroz University, Alignment, Course Plan, Course Report, Learning Outcomes, Outcome-Based Education, Academic Accreditation
The paper aims at highlighting the significance of alignment in teaching and learning (T&L) activities and processes. Focus is on alignment issues related to learning outcomes (LOs) and assessment at the course level of an undergraduate program in an outcome-based education (OBE) environment.Two tools commonly used at this level are focused on : the course plan (CP) and the course report (CR), the latter also assisting in providing feedback on the level of delivery and achievement of course LOs (CLOs). The general harmony of the contents of the tools with two academic accreditation criteria and standards is also considered. A number of mapping matrices and blueprints considered to be useful for aligning the various course level curriculum components are compiled to be included as part of the documents of the two tools.
2. ABET SELF-STUDY QUESTIONNAIRE : TEMPLATE FOR A SELFSTUDY REPORT 2016-2017 Review Cycle, http ://www.abet.org
3. CAA, Commission for Academic Accreditation, http ://www.caa.ae
4. CEA, Commission on English Language Program Accreditation, http ://www.cea-accredit.org
5. Curriculum Alignment around Learning Outcomes and Assessment. Alexei G. Matveev, PPT Presentation, Workshop, Norfolk S.U. 2008
6. National standards for accreditation of medical colleges in Iraq, Aug 2016
7. A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing : A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Lorin W. Andersin, David R. Krathwohl; et al. 2001 Addison Wesley
8. Extracts from the Qualifications Framework Handbook (QFEmirates) : 2013, http ://www.caa.ae
9. National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, May, 2009
10. Development of national qualifications frameworks in Europe, 2011, www.cedefop.europa.eu/files/6112_en.pdf
11. Initiating Outcome based Education, Workshop, Nawroz University, Sept 2017
12. Twelve tips for assessment psychometrics, Lee Coombes, Martin Roberts, Daniel Zahra & Steven Burr, Medical Teacher, Oct 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2015.1060306
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.