On the Path of Academic Accreditation: An Outline of a Two-Phase Plan
Keywords:Nawroz University, institutional effectiveness, outcome based education, Academic accreditation, two-phase plan
This paper presents an outline of a two-phase plan that may be pursued at Nawroz University (NZU) ‘on the path of academic accreditation’. The foundation for the plan is a first phase involving raising awareness and gradually implementing institutional effectiveness (IE) enhancement activities. The activities include the initiation of an outcome based education (OBE) approach in a number of undergraduate programs, culminating at the preparation of program self-assessment reports (SARs) to be submitted for internal and external reviews. A logframe involving the main purposes of the proposed first phase is presented. Based on the progress made during the first phase, a tentative second phase plan is presented to be considered further for processes towards academic accreditation at program and/or institution level(s) in the year(s) that follow.
Khalifa University http://www.kustar.ac.ae
United Arab Emirates University http://www.uaeu.ac.ae
American University of Beirut http://www.aub.edu.lb
University of California, Los Angeles http://www.ucla.edu
University of Washington, Seattle http://www.washington.edu
ABET EAC, CAC Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology http://www.abet.org
CAA, Commission for Academic Accreditation http://www.caa.ae
CEA, Commission on English Language Program Accreditation http://www.cea-accredit.org
“Improvement plans of College of Engineering University of Kufa”, QA Committee, June 2013
“Rehabilitation of the Iraqi Higher Education System”, Project Document, UNESCO, 2013
“Towards excellence in medical education and health care” , Report on the Workshop on accreditation of medical education in Iraq, Amman, Jordan 31 March – 1 April 2016
“Towards self-assessment of 12 Colleges of Engineering in Iraq”, Report, Doha (Qatar), June 6 -10, 2011
Curriculum Guidelines for UG Degree Programs in Computer Science, ACM, IEEE Computer Society, December 2013
Report in the Computing Curricula Series, Joint Task Force on Computer Engineering Curricula, ACM,IEEE, CE2016
PROGRAM ASSESSMENT HANDBOOK, University of Central Florida, 2008 edition
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.