Proposed System for Educational Augmented Reality Smart Book
Keywords:Augmented Reality, Vuforia, Maya3D, Unity3D, Education.
Smartphones have greatly advanced in the past decade. The first smartphone had very low processing power and memory. Nowadays, smartphones have close to desktop class processors and memory. They are also equipped with high resolution displays. This advancement enables creating and running sophisticated and large graphics applications. Such as Augmented and Virtual reality. Augmented Reality (AR) can be described as a view of the real-world environment extended with computer-generated three-dimensional objects. AR enables placing objects that are designed in a computer to the user environment with fine precision. AR can be largely useful in a variety of fields.
On that note, AR is making great contribution to the field of education in the present time. Studying and learning different subjects can be a dull experience, especially for primary school children. Children nowadays are growing in the internet and technology era. Thus, education must evolve to the technological standard as well. Using AR to teach children can be exciting, motivating and simulating in a way that is much easier and beneficial than reading textbooks.
In this paper, an alphabet book is designed for key stage 1 students. The design is accomplished in Photoshop CC and Maya3D. Afterwards, using Vuforia and Unity3D, the letters are brought to life when a smartphone is pointed at them. A 3D model of the letter is shown along with a 3D example and audio of the example is played.
2. Autodesk Inc. (2018). Maya3D. Retrieved from Autodesk: https://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/overview
3. Brown, K. (2014). Prelude - An Augmented Reality iOS Application for Music Education. Bowling Green State University.
4. Mahale, P., & Yeddu, S. (2016). Android-based Augmented Reality to Enhance Education System. International Journal of Computer Applications, 18 - 21.
5. Ulas, M., & Talsci, S. M. (2014). A Review About Augmented Reality Tools and Developing A Virtual Reality Application Based On Education. Academic Journal Of Science, 139 - 146.
6. Unity3D. (2018). Unity3d. Retrieved from Unity3D: https://unity3d.com/unity
7. Vuforia Inc. (2018). Vuforia. Retrieved from Vuforia: https://www.vuforia.com
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright
The use of a Creative Commons License enables authors/editors to retain copyright to their work. Publications can be reused and redistributed as long as the original author is correctly attributed.
- The researcher(s), whether a single or joint research paper, must sell and transfer to the publisher (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) through all the duration of the publication which starts from the date of entering this Agreement into force, the exclusive rights of the research paper/article. These rights include the translation, reuse of papers/articles, transmit or distribute, or use the material or parts(s) contained therein to be published in scientific, academic, technical, professional journals or any other periodicals including any other works derived from them, all over the world, in English and Arabic, whether in print or in electronic edition of such journals and periodicals in all types of media or formats now or that may exist in the future. Rights also include giving license (or granting permission) to a third party to use the materials and any other works derived from them and publish them in such journals and periodicals all over the world. Transfer right under this Agreement includes the right to modify such materials to be used with computer systems and software, or to reproduce or publish it in e-formats and also to incorporate them into retrieval systems.
- Reproduction, reference, transmission, distribution or any other use of the content, or any parts of the subjects included in that content in any manner permitted by this Agreement, must be accompanied by mentioning the source which is (the Academic Journal of Nawroz University) and the publisher in addition to the title of the article, the name of the author (or co-authors), journal’s name, volume or issue, publisher's copyright, and publication year.
- The Academic Journal of Nawroz University reserves all rights to publish research papers/articles issued under a “Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the paper/article by any means, provided that the original work is correctly cited.
- Reservation of Rights
The researcher(s) preserves all intellectual property rights (except for the one transferred to the publisher under this Agreement).
- Researcher’s guarantee
The researcher(s) hereby guarantees that the content of the paper/article is original. It has been submitted only to the Academic Journal of Nawroz University and has not been previously published by any other party.
In the event that the paper/article is written jointly with other researchers, the researcher guarantees that he/she has informed the other co-authors about the terms of this agreement, as well as obtaining their signature or written permission to sign on their behalf.
The author further guarantees:
- The research paper/article does not contain any defamatory statements or illegal comments.
- The research paper/article does not violate other's rights (including but not limited to copyright, patent, and trademark rights).
This research paper/article does not contain any facts or instructions that could cause damages or harm to others, and publishing it does not lead to disclosure of any confidential information.